Thread: SCAM beware !

Thanks

Unhappy SCAM beware !

Pls be aware of the below

FPgeek Id: EthanNoel
    Email: Ethannoelsiggle@gmail.com
    Paypal email: ruwd@yahoo.com, name: Mohamed Ruweida

--
    Just like a joke but I was cheated by him.
    I post in WTB Pelikan M600 Pink Special Edition, then he PM me, very polite text and pictures of the pen that I want.
    Finally he discount and ask me to send him 300$ through Paypal with option "Family & Friends"
    This is my first time I use this option and I didn't know this was a trap. I sent him 300$ and then he did not come back.
    I loss 300$ for the lesson to become a pen addict (^_

Pls be aware of scammers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hana For This Useful Post:

christof (July 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Default Re: SCAM beware !

That's terrible! Have you considered letting PayPal know? They can sometimes take action on these thefts.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Turquoise View Post
    That's terrible! Have you considered letting PayPal know? They can sometimes take action on these thefts.
    Not when someone sends money to their Friends and Family. It's not theft. If you send someone a free gift of money then that's your choice and you can't get it back unless the recipient chooses to send it back.

This is comparable to meeting a complete stranger in the street who says give me $300 cash now and I will send you a pen tomorrow. Would anyone do that?

Oh and there is no FPG member called EthanNoel.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 23rd, 2021 at 10:22 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Yeah, they could do that *maybe* with a "Goods and Services" payment, but how would you expect them to attempt return on money that was, essentially, a gift?

Buyers have to be a bit more aware of the world around them. I'm all for protecting a community against nefarious actions, but I can't protect people from their own behaviors.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 23rd, 2021 at 10:30 AM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Not when someone sends money to their Friends and Family. It's not theft. If you send someone a free gift of money then that's your choice and you can't get it back unless the recipient chooses to send it back.

This is comparable to meeting a complete stranger in the street who says give me $300 cash now and I will send you a pen tomorrow. Would anyone do that?

Oh and there is no FPG member called EthanNoel.
    @hana: Can you please explain this apparent "disconnect" between your report and the FPG membership roster?

Thanks

Not sure what's up, but there *is* a member with the handle "EthanNoel". Listed in the members list.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

DocFr8t (August 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Not sure what's up, but there *is* a member with the handle "EthanNoel". Listed in the members list.
    I searched several times and it said "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." I don't have a populated members list. It's blank.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 23rd, 2021 at 11:43 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I searched several times and it said No results. I don't have a populated members list. It's blank.
    THAT is very odd.

Mine shows all the members (well, it shows what must be thousands of members) and the name is distinctly listed. You might try a search on your name or my name to see if they come up, but definitely sounds glitchy.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

724Seney (July 23rd, 2021), Chrissy (July 24th, 2021), guyy (July 23rd, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Jon Szanto;331052]
    Buyers have to be a bit more aware of the world around them. I'm all for protecting a community against nefarious actions, but I can't protect people from their own behaviors.
    I hear you Jon, but sometimes we have to learn the hard way. That's why homo sapiens have thick skulls...keeps us from hurting ourselves too badly from repeatedly banging our heads against the wall.
    Last edited by dougb1426; July 23rd, 2021 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

I have to admit that reading that reminded me of a cartoon character from over 60 years ago who would offer to pay tomorrow for a hamburger today. Was his name Whimpy?

As for who would do that, my answer is no one who is aware of how Paypal works and aware of how commons scamming (AKA internet fraud) is today.

Thanks

Ah, yes: Wimpy.

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (July 24th, 2021)

Thanks

I think I know what I did now. I was on Member Map. Now I found Member list. Doh!! Thanks for the revelation

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

Another scammer with FPG Id : dukem4409

He sent me some pictures that already sold on ebay. Now I know it is scam !
    Everyone be careful.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hana For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post

Everyone be careful.
    Dude, virtually everyone here is careful. You are the one that is really pulling some dumb moves.

Don't do WTB unless you have been in the community for a while and you know the reputable sellers.
    Don't do any transactions that don't have you covered in case something goes wrong.
    Don't want a pen so bad you stop using common sense and go nuts and then cry to everyone else about it.

I really do want you to take a step back, because you seem to want to keep making risky transactions. Take your own advice.

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (July 23rd, 2021), eachan (July 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hana View Post

Everyone be careful.
    Most FPG members already know from several other threads that there are scammers who join with new ID's solely to send private messages to members who put up WTB ads. They say "we have this item send an email to this address." We know they are scammers and ignore them.

Sadly, you didn't do that and you're probably now on what they call their "mug list" so they will keep sending you stuff. You've even posted this thread as a WTB (when it isn't) so they can all read it and see they have already hooked you in.

I would be very concerned about the fact that they not only have your PayPal email address but you sent them cash either from an account or a card. You need to contact your bank or card holder and ask what you should do next to protect your account.

Read this thread and mark this thread as sold, then try and keep yourself under the radar for a while and fingers crossed they might leave you alone.

Meanwhile press the Report button and report every scammer who sends you a PM saying they have something that you might want.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 23rd, 2021 at 11:40 PM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

hana (July 24th, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 23rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,814 Times in 1,426 Posts

As I understand the topic starter, he is absolutely aware that he has taken a risk and now has to bear the consequences.

I don't read any complaints or grievances. The only thing he wants to tell us is, that the mentioned members EthanNoel and dukem4409 are not trustworthy.

It may be that the long-time members here don't value advice of that kind, but still, a judgment should be left to each member himself.

For my part, I thank him/her for the information.
    Last edited by christof; July 24th, 2021 at 08:05 AM.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

724Seney (July 24th, 2021), BayesianPrior (July 24th, 2021), bebox (July 24th, 2021), ethernautrix (July 25th, 2021), guyy (July 24th, 2021), Jon Szanto (July 24th, 2021), mizgeorge (July 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post
    As I understand the topic starter, he is absolutely aware that he has taken a risk and now has to bear the consequences.

I don't read any complaints or grievances. The only thing he wants to tell us is, that the mentioned members EthanNoel and dukem4409 are not trustworthy.

It may be that the long-time members here don't value advice of that kind, but still, a judgment should be left to each member himself.

For my part, I thank him for the information.
    Those members have both been reported as scammers and OP could also have done that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by christof View Post

For my part, I thank him for the information.
    Agree, 100%
    This was a valuable post.
    Like it or not there ARE scammers on this Forum.
    IMO, anything which can be done to shine a light on them is of great value to me and, I suspect, to other members, as well.
    As with all other posts, if some see no value in the information, they can simply pass them by.........

Thanks

"Hey, I saw an open flame and I ended up putting my hand in it and got burned pretty badly. Just wanted you all to know and be aware."

"Thanks, but I don't put my hand into open flames, as I know that would be unwise on my part. I've never gotten burned. Sorry it happened to you."

There could very well be any number of people who have opened an account here so they could read threads and send messages, and have never posted, ultimately for the purpose of ripping off people. The two examples cited by the OP appear to fall into this category. It is likely that this kind of behavior exists in forums all over the Internet. Nothing about that makes this place any more dangerous than anywhere else unless you stop using basic online awareness. So, ok, we've been given a head's up that people will offer you something and take your money if you don't do any investigation and use payment methods that don't have any protections. For those that needed to hear that, great.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 24th, 2021 at 09:10 AM.

~ Benjamin Franklin