Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPS mail :-(

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Angry USPS mail :-(

The USPS's major changes went into effect at the beginning of the month to cut costs. It must reduce expense when postmen do not make their rounds, for my neighbors and I have had no mail delivered since October 1st, notwithstanding the Informed Delivery system showing images of mail purported to be delivered each day. Apparently there are ~80 pieces of mail addressed to me in the pipeline, and the clog is growing. (Two Amazon parcels were placed into the mailbox next door. Guess what business is getting priority service.)

Anyone else?

Last edited by FredRydr; October 11th, 2021 at 06:12 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

724Seney (October 11th, 2021), Chrissy (October 11th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (October 11th, 2021), guyy (October 11th, 2021), welch (October 20th, 2021), Yazeh (October 11th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default Re: USPS mail :-(

Wow, that sucks, Fred. Here in Maine my service has been uninterrupted (semi-rural small town, but in the south, not the far north or downeast).

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have an incoming parcel from Santa Cruz, California that went off the radar on 1 October. I don’t know if that’s due to the downgrading of first class mail service or if it’s just one of their typical snags. Both maybe.

At any rate, all this has me wanting to send you even more mail. If you’d pm me your address, i’ll send you a postcard.

Thanks

I'm really sorry to hear this. I have a P.O. Box so only seeing slight delays so far.

I just checked several Priority Mail packages I shipped from CA to the east coast in early October and those took the normal 3 days-ish amount of time....
    Last edited by jbb; October 11th, 2021 at 06:50 AM.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks

Fred: When I enter your address specifically, as if I'm sending you an Etsy, Priority Mail, order, I get the message "may arrive late" which I have not seen for any other order recently.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

guyy (October 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    The USPS's major changes went into effect at the beginning of the month to cut costs. It must reduce expense when postmen do not make their rounds, for my neighbors and I have had no mail delivered since October 1st, notwithstanding the Informed Delivery system showing images of mail purported to be delivered each day. Apparently there are ~80 pieces of mail addressed to me in the pipeline, and the clog is growing. (Two Amazon parcels were placed into the mailbox next door. Guess what business is getting priority service.)

Anyone else?

I'm still scratching my head over this one.
    Effective October 1st their prices were increased and their services were decreased?
    Maybe it is just me, but I find that rather counter-intuitive.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 11th, 2021), Detman101 (December 24th, 2021), TSherbs (October 11th, 2021)

Thanks

I printed a postcard (no envelope to delay reading the message) addressed to the local postmaster with a concise statement and polite request. I applied postage and drove 5 miles to the post office to hand deliver across the counter. The door was locked. Closed for Columbus Day. <sigh!> So, I put it in the outside mailbox which will be emptied 2PM tomorrow, whereupon its contents will be shipped to the big sorting facility 14 miles away, and my postcard will finally return to my local postoffice the following day. Maybe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    Fred: When I enter your address specifically, as if I'm sending you an Etsy, Priority Mail, order, I get the message "may arrive late" which I have not seen for any other order recently.
    Whoa! Weird. Something's up that the big USPS computer knows about.

Thanks

Whoa! Weird. Something's up that the big USPS computer knows about.
    I tried some of your neighbors addresses and get the same message. You are, apparently, under interdict.
    Last edited by jbb; October 11th, 2021 at 08:37 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

manoeuver (October 11th, 2021), VertOlive (October 17th, 2021)

Thanks

[QUOTE=jbb;339093][QUOTE=FredRydr;339091]
    Fred: . You are, apparently, under interdict.
    What does that mean?

Thanks

[QUOTE=TSherbs;339101][QUOTE=jbb;339093]
    Fred: . You are, apparently, under interdict.
    What does that mean?
    An interdict is an authoritative prohibition.....and it has churchy connotations [...an interdict is an ecclesiastical censure, or ban that prohibits persons, certain active Church individuals or groups from participating in certain rites...] It was an (apparently unsuccessful) attempt at humor.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (October 11th, 2021), VertOlive (October 17th, 2021), Yazeh (October 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    I'm still scratching my head over this one.
    Effective October 1st their prices were increased and their services were decreased?
    Maybe it is just me, but I find that rather counter-intuitive.
    They probably saw how well it was working for the Royal Mail and decided to get in on the act.
    In the words of Paul Simon, you can call me Al.

Thanks

An interdict is an authoritative prohibition.....and it has churchy connotations [...an interdict is an ecclesiastical censure, or ban that prohibits persons, certain active Church individuals or groups from participating in certain rites...] It was an (apparently unsuccessful) attempt at humor.
    Ha! I appreciate the attempt. Sadly, it was lost on my ignorance.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Fred, I am so sorry to hear this. I keep waiting to notice a degradation in our mail service but it seems about as it always has. The part I hate is that the people who will bear the brunt of people's unhappiness are the workers who don't make these decisions in the first place. They are victims in it, as are we. I have always had great service and rapport with our local postal people and I'm really baffled why DeJoy has not been canned with extreme prejudice.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 24th, 2021), PenInvestigations (October 26th, 2021), TSherbs (October 11th, 2021), welch (January 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

...I tried some of your neighbors addresses and get the same message. You are, apparently, under interdict.
    Thanks. Well, there is a banner hanging by the post office entrance that reads, "NOW HIRING." Alas, the entire delivery route is under double secret interdict.*

*Apologies to Dean Wormer.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

CrayonAngelss (October 11th, 2021), empliau (October 11th, 2021), manoeuver (October 11th, 2021), TSherbs (October 11th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I have always had great service and rapport with our local postal people and I'm really baffled why DeJoy has not been canned with extreme prejudice.
    He’s out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable postal conduct. And he is still in Washington, running the postal service.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

welch (January 3rd, 2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guyy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I have always had great service and rapport with our local postal people and I'm really baffled why DeJoy has not been canned with extreme prejudice.
    He’s out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable postal conduct. And he is still in Washington, running the postal service.
    Can Biden not dump him?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Can Biden not dump him?
    Based on precedent so far, legal opinions vary whether the president can fire the CEO of the USPS, or only its board can do so. The answer would come when it happens and if the federal courts are asked to weigh in. IMHO, drastic fiscal measures have to be taken, with first priority being basic reliable first class mail delivery of correspondence available to all. Parcels, stuff, advertising, junk mail should pay its way.

Meanwhile, it seems I'm unlucky enough to be in a particularly problematic post office, which it turns out has been the subject of reporting by the regional TV news and newspapers. Based on past observation, personnel don't last long here; the delivery route my house is on has had a revolving door of mailmen/women over the past couple of years.

Thanks

...Meanwhile, it seems I'm unlucky enough to be in a particularly problematic post office, which it turns out has been the subject of reporting by the regional TV news and newspapers. Based on past observation, personnel don't last long here; the delivery route my house is on has had a revolving door of mailmen/women over the past couple of years.
    Do you think those postal carriers take one look at the stream of handwritten, sealing-wax-sealed, snail mail flooding your mailbox and just quit??????

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (October 17th, 2021), CrayonAngelss (October 13th, 2021), dneal (December 3rd, 2021), FredRydr (October 12th, 2021), guyy (October 17th, 2021), Jon Szanto (October 17th, 2021), Kudzu (July 15th, 2023), TFarnon (November 10th, 2021), TSherbs (October 12th, 2021), Yazeh (October 17th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

I’m pretty remote- an island in the Gulf of Mexico- and our Mail service hasn’t changed. I even received two packages from China in under 2 weeks yesterday. My mailman tells me he enjoys looking at my odd variety of incoming mail as a novelty for his day.

I’m guessing it’s local issues?
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

30. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

welch (January 3rd, 2022)