Thread: Dipping my toe in the new ink arena

Thanks

Default Dipping my toe in the new ink arena

I am so bland that I get one ink I like and I never change. Currently I have 2 blues (Pilot Iroshizuku Ama-iro and Waterman Serenity Blue) and a Parker black. However, reading and looking at the ink reviews y'all do has got me to try out out inks..... I got several Robert Oster samples True blue, Bishop to King etc. This could be dangerous....... :-)

Thanks to everyone that has done an ink review, I appreciate getting pushed out of my comfort zone.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cookedj For This Useful Post:

azkid (December 12th, 2019), Chemyst (December 22nd, 2019), Chrissy (December 11th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (December 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Re: Dipping my toe in the new ink arena

It can be an expensive path to go down. Good luck with your new inks.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 22nd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

But no matter how crazy you go with trying new inks, remember to keep a core supply of reliable predictable inks. Laura hit the nail on the head: https://fountainpenfollies.com/2019/...e-ten-rules/2/

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 22nd, 2019), Chuck Naill (December 12th, 2019), Cookedj (December 12th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

After buying more ink than I will use, I finally realized that the way to try inks without going bankrupt is samples.

Anyway, having a go to ink is invaluable. Waterman Serenity Blue is absolute magic. I've yet to find a pen it doesn't work in. Heck, it improves every pen I use it in.

I just happen to hate plain blue inks as it reminds me of ballpoints (involuntary shudder).

Robert Oster (Carbon Fire) was one of our recent Mystery Inks and all the participants were super impressed with it. It behaves splendidly and works perfectly in a ridiculously wide array of pens.

I am really curious if their other inks are this good. I've also tried Pinky (Pinkie?) and it is a really nice pink/fuscia ink that I got for my kid. The few times I wrote with it I was impressed.

Anyway best wishes in your ink exploration. Be sure to share what you find

Thanks

I only use Waterman inks in my vintage collection. I bought a violet ink and didn't care for the color initially, but have decided it is dark enough for most of my business needs and looks great for letters and addressing needs. It's just enough different to be interesting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 22nd, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    But no matter how crazy you go with trying new inks, remember to keep a core supply of reliable predictable inks. Laura hit the nail on the head: https://fountainpenfollies.com/2019/...e-ten-rules/2/
    Thanks for promoting this summary.

Unfortunately, saying those same things on message boards draws a lot hate and discontent. That doesn’t make the advice less true or valuable though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    After buying more ink than I will use, I finally realized that the way to try inks without going bankrupt is samples.

Anyway, having a go to ink is invaluable. Waterman Serenity Blue is absolute magic. I've yet to find a pen it doesn't work in. Heck, it improves every pen I use it in.

I just happen to hate plain blue inks as it reminds me of ballpoints (involuntary shudder).

Robert Oster (Carbon Fire) was one of our recent Mystery Inks and all the participants were super impressed with it. It behaves splendidly and works perfectly in a ridiculously wide array of pens.

I am really curious if their other inks are this good. I've also tried Pinky (Pinkie?) and it is a really nice pink/fuscia ink that I got for my kid. The few times I wrote with it I was impressed.

Anyway best wishes in your ink exploration. Be sure to share what you find
    You might like Waterman Tender Purple. I didn't at first, but I do now. Its dark enough for everyday use for my job and pleasure. Waterman is my only ink. I prefer the wetness is provides my vintage Esterbrook collection.

Thanks

Well I am happy to say I have finished with my first sample size ink - Oster's Bishop to King. I was skeptical at first, but I love it. I think I'm going to move on to True Blue next, or maybe Carbon Fire........

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Carbon fire is wonderful and was a big hit as one of our mystery inks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azkid View Post
    This is where I've landed as well. I've purchased plenty of full bottles of ink, only to fall out and not like them any longer. It's a waste. Per mL a full bottle is cheaper than samples, but that assumes you ever actually finish off a full bottle of ink before finding a new favorite. There are so many inks on the market that you can bounce from one sample vial to the next and never run out of options. By the time you find the end of the inkiverse you'll be ready to run through it again and rediscover inks you'd forgotten about.