Thread: Diamine Pumpkin

Thanks

Default Diamine Pumpkin

It's my favorite orange ink. Although it seems to really crust up on the nib no matter what pen I put it in and if I don't use it for a day or two I find the nib has crusted ink on it.

The last pen I inked up with it was a Jinhao 992. I hadn't cleaned it right away. I cleaned it tonight and found that the ink that was left had congealed into a consistency that reminded me of wet chalk. The feed and nib were I love this ink

Did I get a bad batch of ink? Is this just something this ink does? I've never heard of anyone else having this problem.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Default Re: Diamine Pumpkin

Ahhh yes, Diamine Pumpkin! Beautiful color, gorgeous shading, and LOTS of nib crud on my Faber Castell Loom with a medium nib. It was the first time I had come across nib crud, and thought it was just my pen. Also used a sample of Diamine Blaze, which is very similar in color, but no nib crud. I think Diamine may have really supersaturated the dyes for Pumpkin, and just a little evaporation is causing these problems. Took a lot of rinsing using a bulb to get out the remaining color from the nib unit.

All the Best.
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

3. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (January 25th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    It's my favorite orange ink. Although it seems to really crust up on the nib no matter what pen I put it in and if I don't use it for a day or two I find the nib has crusted ink on it.

The last pen I inked up with it was a Jinhao 992. I hadn't cleaned it right away. I cleaned it tonight and found that the ink that was left had congealed into a consistency that reminded me of wet chalk. The feed and nib were I love this ink

Did I get a bad batch of ink? Is this just something this ink does? I've never heard of anyone else having this problem.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    No you didn't get a bad batch of ink. Whatever that particular yellow dye is, it always causes crud on pen nibs and evaporates into a thicker consistency when left in a pen, or a sample vial, or even a small bottle for a long time.

On glass bottle threads it often turns to powder that crumbles off when you unscrew the cap. I usually place these inks in a clean, flat dish before opening the bottles, and just brush the yellow dust back into the bottle afterwards.

I have a sample bottle containing a small sample of Sailor Kin Mokusei that regularly ends up as crusty lumps in the bottom of the bottle. I add water, mix it, and within a short time it's regular ink again.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 31st, 2020 at 12:33 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

amk (January 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Yes, Diamine Pumpkin is a b*gg*r of an ink. I remember using it in a Dollar demonstrator, which looked beautiful until you uncapped it and saw the powdery crud all round the nib.

I'm using Autumn Oak at the moment - not as violently orange, but a really gorgeous colour and so far, a lot better behaved.

I seem to remember Herbin Orange Indien is a well behaved orange ink, too; presumably whatever the ingredient is that causes the crud, not all inks use it. (Another reason to get Herbin Orange Indien is the cute little elephant on the bottle.)

Thanks

The dye that causes the "crud" effect is a yellow dye. You just have to brush it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Yes, Diamine Pumpkin is a b*gg*r of an ink. I remember using it in a Dollar demonstrator, which looked beautiful until you uncapped it and saw the powdery crud all round the nib.

I'm using Autumn Oak at the moment - not as violently orange, but a really gorgeous colour and so far, a lot better behaved.

I seem to remember Herbin Orange Indien is a well behaved orange ink, too; presumably whatever the ingredient is that causes the crud, not all inks use it. (Another reason to get Herbin Orange Indien is the cute little elephant on the bottle.)
    Diamine Pumpkin made the converter in my FPR Himalaya look like it had been smoking 60 a day. Exactly like a nicotine stain. It’s permanent too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

amk (January 27th, 2020)

Thanks

I have found that it does crud up. It will crud up less in a cap with a very good seal. The crud itself, as far as I can tell in several years of using it, is harmless. Wipe it off. Keep on rocking.

Thanks

You'll find many orange and yellow inks suffer from the same, from many manufacturers.

Thanks

Well then... I have a 30ml of Pumpkin inbound, thanks for the warning!

I haven't had that experience with Kin Mokusei, but I have had Tokiwa Matsu crust up at the base of a 60s Platinum nib, looks disturbingly like there's moss or algae growing out of the joint between the nib and section :P
    David-

So many restoration projects...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awa54 View Post
    Well then... I have a 30ml of Pumpkin inbound, thanks for the warning!

I haven't had that experience with Kin Mokusei, but I have had Tokiwa Matsu crust up at the base of a 60s Platinum nib, looks disturbingly like there's moss or algae growing out of the joint between the nib and section :P
    That crud sounds like it may not be as insignificant as the bright yellow dye dust.

The crud that grew around my Mb Woolf nib/feed when it was filled with Mb Elixir Pourpre was certainly a much more serious problem. That was definitely mould.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 31st, 2020 at 12:39 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The crud that grew around my Mb Woolf nib/feed when it was filled with Mb Elixir Pourpre was certainly a much more serious problem. That was definitely mould.
    The nib and feed of my pen had been disassembled and ultrasonic cleaned when I received it and it showed no sign of any major sediment and certainly no "growths" either in the feed or the cap... Also it's not unknown for Plat inset nibs to have ink pool at the top of the exposed part of the nib, where it meets the section (this one has a dart shaped plastic extension of the section that partially covers the nib as well)... I especially notice this with the larger barrel versions from the late 60s and early 70s, but depending on the ink have seen it in pretty much all of them.

*Just incase* this one got a re-clean and both an ammonia and vinegar solution soak for all associated parts, then I inked it with R&K salix for a few weeks... not quite "purified by fire" but close it hasn't showed any more gunk, though I haven't run the Tokiwa matsu in it again, however the Tokiwa has not made any other pens go gunky, so I'm fairly certain it's safe as well.
    Last edited by awa54; January 31st, 2020 at 10:54 AM.
    David-

15. The Following User Says Thank You to awa54 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 31st, 2020)

Thanks

My bottle of Pumpkin (and 10 other colors!) finally arrived... it took two days for the UK Post to get the package from Cult pens to the US, then two weeks for the USPS to finally deliver it from NYC to VT smh.

I haven't inked anything with the Pumpkin yet, but I did a swab on Rhodia paper and was surprised at how tame it is compared to online images; nowhere near as saturated as I was expecting.
    Last edited by awa54; February 6th, 2020 at 02:18 PM.
    David-