Thread: Wnat to know Drawing pencils

Thanks

Default Wnat to know Drawing pencils

hi i am chaaseemmie i love drawing and create drawing when i am free, i want to know about some pencil use in drawing or some color that use in normally not professional use so please tell me. and whats your favorite pencil.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Default Re: Wnat to know Drawing pencils

Hi,
    I use for my pencil drawings Faber Castell - Castell 9000 pencils from 8B to 3H
    Often artists also recommend Staedtler Mars pencils (dark black).

You can find some of my pencil drawings in this thread:
    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....ks-Art-Gallery

I would love to see your drawings, join us in the Art and Calligraphy subforum.

Thanks

I thought it would be easier just to take a picture of what pencils are on my desk....

Pencils on my desk by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

From the top:

The Artgraf stix is actually really good for shading broad areas (and you can use it with water to do washes), but mostly I used it to transfer images from paper to linocarving blocks for print making by rubbing the back of the paper then tracing my drawing.

Progresso ~ just a nice, dark & soft drawing graphite pencil that makes thick lines.

Staedler Mechanical pencil 782 Mars Techno (blue) I have an 2B in this I think... ~ it's a general note pencil and sits by my pc most of the time. You have many options of leads for these.

Pentel Graphgear500 ~ (brown) THIS is my drawing pencil. I adore my 0.3 (tiny tiny), always sharp, HB leads. I love this pencil so much that I have a 2nd in case I lose this and a lifetime supply of graphite refills because it was impossible to find them where I live years and years ago. Easier now but I am good for decades.

FaberCastell 9000 series pencils (that one is a 5B)...these are very good but I find I use my mechanical ones more and they are just so expensive in Canada that I'm almost afraid to use them!

FaberCastell mechanical pencil from the 70's (red) I have had this since I was a kid. I thought I lost it and hence bought that Staedler as a replacement.........It fits my hand perfectly.

Palomino Blackwing Pearl ~ another very good pencil and I often use it for sketching, in particular gestures. Can't be bothered with the eraser, but it is replaceable and can be extended. Writers love these.

Mitsu-bishi Hi-uni ~ 2B....these are new to me, but MY GOODNESS I love these pencils from Japan. Smooth as silk. Sharpens like a dream. Graphite is PERFECTLY centred in these cedar pencils.

Hope this is some help.
    Last edited by Pira; April 18th, 2016 at 04:50 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pira For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 26th, 2016), Crazyorange (April 21st, 2016), Mr. Reader (April 22nd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

I mainly use Mitsubishi Hi-Uni pencils. They have the widest range of grades of any pencils I've found (24 I think) & are beautifully made. Caran D'Ache Graphline are also good.

For a mechanical pencil I use a Pentel Graph 100 & change out the lead size when I want something thicker/finer.

For coloured pencils nothing beats Faber Castell Polychromos - really the Rolls Royce of coloured pencils. I also like their Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils. Derwent Drawing pencils and Graphitints ranges give plenty of scope for experimentation at a reasonable price.

For very detailed erasing I love the Tombow Mono Zero refillable eraser Ultra Fine 2.3mm.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 26th, 2016), Mr. Reader (April 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    For coloured pencils nothing beats Faber Castell Polychromos - really the Rolls Royce of coloured pencils. I also like their Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils.
    Yes yes...completely concure with migo on this. BEST brand on the market. Been around for hundreds of years and still family owned so they dictate who sells their products, so you won't find them marked down in a big chain. Yes they are expensive...but if you ever wanted proof of getting what you pay for, these are the poster child. You can buy them individually as well as in sets.

Thanks

I also use the Polychromos and Albrecht Dürer.
    But they are not alone in the professional league, Caran d'ache plays also there.
    It's hard to say which ones are better, it mainly depends also on the preferences of the artist.
    For sure both brands are top notch.

I also use the Mono Zeros, they are great.
    Additionally I use kneadable erasers and a plastic one (Staedtler Mars)

When talking about pencil drawings you also should not forget paper Estompe to smudge.
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; April 19th, 2016 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks

But as always the tools support the artist, but do not guarantee good results.
    Some can produce incredible artwork using an ordinary no name HB pencil.

Not having the best tools is no excuse for bad art.

It's the same as with FPˋs some buy many expensive pens, but are not able to draw a straight line or write a legible word.

Overall it's the user that count, not the tool (good tools make it easier to achieve good results but not more.....and of course nice tools are a pleasure to use )
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; April 19th, 2016 at 02:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    But as always the tools support the artist, but do not guarantee good results.
    Some can produce incredible artwork using an ordinary no name HB pencil.

Not having the best tools is no excuse for bad art.

It's the same as with FPˋs some buy many expensive pens, but are not able to draw a straight line or write a legible word.

Overall it's the user that count, not the tool (good tools make it easier to achieve good results but not more.....and of course nice tools are a pleasure to use )
    You're so right. How about this artwork, done with BIC ballpoint pens!

http://vianaarts.deviantart.com/art/...-Pen-422342748

11. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (April 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

These ballpoint guys are amazing, true artists.
    I never could be that patient to create something like that (nor do I have the skills (yet)).
    I´m believing that artistic skills are mainly skills which can be learned, not a given thing (often referred as talent), depending on the willingness to learn, very much practice and patience.

So for me people which always claim: I can not draw, I can not write nicely, I can not....... are wrong.
    They should claim: I´m not willing to learn, it take too much time to practice , it's not worth the effort learning it for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

For coloured pencils nothing beats Faber Castell Polychromos - really the Rolls Royce of coloured pencils. I also like their Albrecht Durer watercolour pencils. Derwent Drawing pencils and Graphitints ranges give plenty of scope for experimentation at a reasonable price.

For very detailed erasing I love the Tombow Mono Zero refillable eraser Ultra Fine 2.3mm.
    Completely agree. LOVE albrecht durer water color pencils. Worth every penny.

The tombow mono zero eraser .....hands down can get into the tiniest places to easer. Plus very smooth.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (April 22nd, 2016)