Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conundrum

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Conundrum

I've really screwed up my involvement with fountain pens and the community.

Now it feels like I'm at square one. Just cannot seem to settle on one thing or another.

I am genuinely at a loss.

Thanks

Default Re: Conundrum

Take heart!

We'll rouse you with muffins,
    We'll rouse you with ice.
    We'll rouse you with mustard and cress.
    We'll rouse you with jam and judicious advice.
    We'll set you conundrums to guess.

- With apologies to Lewis Carroll -
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 13th, 2018), empliau (November 13th, 2018), thebenedictine (November 16th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,590 Times in 699 Posts

At 61 years old, I sometimes take satisfaction in the following observation, which I've never seen attributed to a particular person.

When I was twenty, I cared what other people thought about me.
    When I was forty, I no longer cared what other people thought about me.
    Now I'm sixty, and I realize that people hadn't been thinking about me to begin with.

Which is not meant to be belittling, just advice not to take things too seriously.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 15th, 2018), Bzzer (November 13th, 2018), carlos.q (November 13th, 2018), catbert (November 13th, 2018), Pterodactylus (November 13th, 2018), Rossler (November 16th, 2018), thebenedictine (November 16th, 2018)

Thanks

I am afraid you will absolutely never be satisfied.

I think you have to sort things out, and not online but just with friends and family. I have never seen someone whose relationship with pens (WITH PENS?) was so incredibly fraught.

I bought one of your pens. I hope you and everyone will forgive me saying so but the pen I bought from you is so unbelievably fucking astounding that I just think the problem can't possibly be with any of the pens. The problem is something else entirely.

I hope you figure it out.

Go out. Smell the flowers. Have a nice dinner with your lovely bride. Buy a Pilot pen and then seek satisfaction elsewhere. Study. Draw. Play music. Plant a garden. Make pasta.

I really honestly am completely confounded with your pen situation. I find it infinitely weird. I really can't understand it, At all. I have a dozen vintage pens on my desk right now that give me a lot of joy and good use. I am sure our use cases are different but still. I don't understand what the problem is,

Best of luck. Sincerely.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (November 15th, 2018), Blue Note (November 13th, 2018), carlos.q (November 13th, 2018), catbert (November 13th, 2018), Chrissy (November 13th, 2018), Deb (November 13th, 2018), Pterodactylus (November 13th, 2018), thebenedictine (November 16th, 2018)

Thanks

All criticism no doubt fully deseved.

Aesthetics aside, I have large hands. When I say large I am talking about 22cm (just over 8 1/2 inches) from fingertip to wrist. In my head I have this notion that a pen, when resting in the web between thumb and forefinger, should extend about 2.5 cm (an inch) beyond the hand. Most pens don't do this, for my hand size.

Nibs. I read what people say about their nibs gliding across the paper. I've not really experienced that. Perhaps I am not using the pens correctly, but as a regular dip pen user I don't see how I may be going wrong in this context.

As for the sales, yes I have been far too hasty in disposing of interesting nibs, amazing pen bodies and otherwise perfectly decent pens - that Duofold... big mistake, have been looking for another one but with my luck it ain't going to happen twice. Well, there's not much I can do about any of this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,318 Posts

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Well, there's not much I can do about any of this.
    Yeah, there is. You can take notice of all the patient advice you've received in answer to the numerous similar threads you've started on exactly the same theme. You can wait more than five minutes before selling on a pen that disappoints you, as you've been endlessly advised, and then not whine about having done it. Best of all, from my POV, you could start another "I'm going for good" thread and actually go for good.

I never post things like this even to the most annoying trolls, but you are a total tool and I'm sick of seeing you take advantage of generous people who continually try to help you and then you bad-mouth the people who've finally had enough. Seek some help, chum.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (November 13th, 2018), Chemyst (November 14th, 2018), Chrissy (November 13th, 2018), Wahl (November 14th, 2018)

Thanks

I would like to make the effort to start afresh both with pens and people. However, it is much more difficult to do so in an intolerant environment. Your response is part of that environment. Well done!
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; November 13th, 2018 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

Part of starting over is doing things differently. There has been, I think you will recognize by now, a certain similarity in the knots you tie.

More concretely:

big hands --> custom pens
    You've solved that already, no? Even found a maker you can work with. Maybe collaborate with your wife on a pen you both like (or decide it doesn't matter if anyone else likes what you like).

Just cannot seem to settle on one thing or another.
    This is why we all have more than one pen.

As ever, good luck.
    Last edited by catbert; November 13th, 2018 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

EoC, how many threads like this here and back on FPN?

I fear there is no help for you, maybe you need this.....

I told you more than once that your penmanship skills are extraordinary, you outperform the vast majority of users here.
    You have your dip nibs, you had (or maybe still have) plenty of really good fountain pens.
    But still no satisfaction.....

At the end the pens are just tools, nice but still only tools, I again suggest to get your satisfaction from your penmanship.
    It’s not about the tool itˋs more about mastering your (nice or not so nice) tools.

When you look at your awesome writing, I even want to say calligraphy, is there really nothing you can enjoy?
    Neither the process of Art creation nor enjoying the final work result?

How about posting of your work in the creative section?
    I’m sure many Geeks would like to see and follow your calligraphy skills there, enjoying your art.

And you also have a drawing talent, just to mention that as well....
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 13th, 2018 at 04:45 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 13th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (November 16th, 2018)

Thanks

@catbert,

That's true, but there has to be something to initiate a re-start. Slow change in this regard just doesn't work.

And yes, the custom pens kind of solve the size issues. The downside is they are only fitted with Jowo nibs, which are businesslike rather than wonderful writers. Even so, custom pens lack something else that I can't quite put a finger on.

I've tried quite a few vintage pens, nothing really gels (yet!). And the information about any pen, aside from taste, is often wildly misleading (though not intentionally). For example, the threads which talk about the MB149 as a huge pen. To me it is short, fat pen. Too short to use unposted in comfort.

It's looking like I will have to settle on pens that post, in this regard, and that means finding those that post well, which kinda narrows the field a bit.

There are two Jowo nibs on the way from FPNibs, a stub and a broad architect. This is just for experimentation at this stage.

However, I genuinely think that I haven't really learned anything about pens or nibs or inks or paper.

@pterodactylus

I think you are confusing me with someone else. My writing is average at best. My drawing even less good. Both are works in progress, neither are satisfactory yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

@catbert,

That's true, but there has to be something to initiate a re-start. Slow change in this regard just doesn't work.
    Why something? Why slow? YOU want to restart: there's your something. Don't tell us and expect the change to manifest. To quote the movie thread in the other place: 'Guidance is internal'. (Example below.)

There are two Jowo nibs on the way from FPNibs, a stub and a broad architect. This is just for experimentation at this stage.
    Yup, custom nibs seem like the other half of the custom pen equation.

However, I genuinely think that I haven't really learned anything about pens or nibs or inks or paper.
    We're all learning. That's the fun, isn't it?

@pterodactylus

I think you are confusing me with someone else. My writing is average at best. My drawing even less good. Both are works in progress, neither are satisfactory yet.
    Example of change: accept a compliment for once.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

I just bought you a Saturday admission ticket to the 2019 SF Pen Show.

Ask for FamBoy at the reception desk at the show if there are any questions.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

catbert (November 13th, 2018), ethernautrix (November 15th, 2018), Jon Szanto (November 13th, 2018), junglejim (November 13th, 2018), Lady Onogaro (November 16th, 2018), Rossler (November 16th, 2018), Sailor Kenshin (November 18th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I just bought you a Saturday admission ticket to the 2019 SF Pen Show.

Ask for FamBoy at the reception desk at the show if there are any questions.
    Be sure to mention the band at night. Maybe I'll sit in again.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Why something? Why slow? YOU want to restart: there's your something. Don't tell us and expect the change to manifest. To quote the movie thread in the other place: 'Guidance is internal'. (Example below.)

Done (see other threads)

Yup, custom nibs seem like the other half of the custom pen equation.

I'm not that hopeful of anything more than a serviceable nib. But you never know!

We're all learning. That's the fun, isn't it?

My point is that I don't believe anything has really sunk in, like I've not understood anything about the subject.

@pterodactylus

Example of change: accept a compliment for once.
    When the compliment addresses something of actual merit then I am more than happy to accept it. My skills with pen/pencil are as yet without merit. It's just a truthful appraisal.

Thanks

Now it feels like I'm at square one. Just cannot seem to settle on one thing or another.

Time for a clean break then.

Close the book on FPG, FPN and all the old places that give you no satisfaction.

Pick a new username.

Join Reddit.

Never mention your old gripes or experiences and learn afresh among new fountain pen enthusiasts.

Break the cycle of self-victimization.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chemyst For This Useful Post:

AzJon (November 14th, 2018), Chrissy (November 14th, 2018), Wahl (November 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post

Close the book on FPG, FPN and all the old places that give you no satisfaction.

Pick a new username.

Join Reddit.

Never mention your old gripes or experiences and learn afresh among new fountain pen enthusiasts.

Hey!

Stop! Donˋt headhunt for different sites and encourage members to stop participating in our awesome community.

We already have way too less active members here.
    EoC is difficult but a highly appreciated member.

Beside his periodically self torturing tendencies we appreciate his knowledge, expertise, penmanship and drawings!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

Deb (November 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Perhaps it's not such a bad idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Stop! Donˋt headhunt for different sites and encourage members to stop participating in our awesome community.

We already have way too less active members here.
    EoC is difficult but a highly appreciated member.

Beside his periodically self torturing tendencies we appreciate his knowledge, expertise, penmanship and drawings!
    You should probably stick to speaking just for yourself on this particular score.
    Last edited by stub; November 14th, 2018 at 08:39 AM.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (November 14th, 2018), Chemyst (November 14th, 2018), Chrissy (November 14th, 2018), Wahl (November 14th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chemyst View Post

Pick a new username.

Join Reddit.

Not a bad idea, actually. I don't advocate from completely withdrawing from FPN/FPG, but joining up at Reddit is a great idea. Make an account if you want to, but if you do, don't do EoC. Just lurk. Click posts and don't engage (unless you really want to!), just observe. Try to be as a beginner. As irksome as it can be to some of the old-guard, seeing a bunch of people being stoked about a Metro can be refreshing after too long in the halls of a forum.