Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor-Cars this Time

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Default Motor-Cars this Time

Three car shots,

First the unique and very beautiful 1969 Ferrari 212E that won the European Hillclimb championship. Ferrari built one car and just two engines...

Next, Mercedes is leading the current F1 world championship by a country mile: here's the engine of another Grand Prix-winning Mercedes - from 1914:

And finally here's an infra-red shot of a car that I built: a highly-modified 1967 Lancia Fulvia:

Rgds

Cob

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (December 15th, 2014), Neo (December 4th, 2014), RuiFromUK (December 15th, 2014)

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 08:52 AM.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Default Re: Motor-Cars this Time

Ging Ging-a guy at work had one of these. In the morning when he started up to leave I could feel the vibration thru the building to my office 25 or 30 feet from the door. I was an awesome auto. Awesome gas hog. He did not keep it long. Enjoy, thanks for sharing.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    Attachment 15117
    This is my 06 Viper truck. The a Ram SRT10. 500 horses. 505 FT LBS OF TORQUE. V 10. Ten valves per cylinder. 7000 lbs and does 0 to 60 in just under five seconds
    Unless that back seat is photoshopped, not it doesn't, lol. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's the SINGLE cabs that have the ability to do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.

I say "have the ability" because that's with a professional driver. The SRT Trucks have a very hard time hooking up and you'd be luck to do a 6-flat with street tires and normal pavement (not a track).

With that said, I have a lot of respect for those trucks. It's a shame they were discontinued. They respond EXTREMELY well to modifications.

Of note: I'm a former truck owner myself. I had a modified 1999 Chevy Silverado that did 500horsepower/550torque to the wheels. That's roughly 590hp/650tq if you want to compare flywheel numbers like the 500/505 numbers the srt10 ram was rated at.

Of course, that's not a fair comparison as my truck had full bolt-on modifications (camshaft, intake, exhaust, 3600 torque converter, 4.10 gears, etc) as well as a 150 shot of nitrous.

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

This is my 06 Viper truck. The a Ram SRT10. 500 horses. 505 FT LBS OF TORQUE. V 10. Ten valves per cylinder. 7000 lbs and does 0 to 60 in just under five seconds
    How does that work?

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks

I actually think he was just referring to the fact that it doesn't have 10 valves per cylinder. The viper is a 10 cylinder engine but they use 4 valves per cylinder, they used 2 valves per cylinder in 06 but regardless, I have an automotive tech degree and I've never heard of a 10 valve per cylinder production vehicle. I admittedly don't know a tiny fraction of everything but i would also be curious about the design of a 10 valve per cylinder engine.
    Last edited by Quantum Sailor; December 13th, 2014 at 02:12 AM.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quantum Sailor For This Useful Post:

Farmboy (December 13th, 2014), Hawk (December 13th, 2014)

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks

10 valves/cyl could be done with lots of little valves and tiny camshafts.

Who ever said that drawing attention to oneself ever demanded accuracy?

I drive a MINI. What are you compensating for?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith42 View Post
    10 valves/cyl could be done with lots of little valves and tiny camshafts.

[snip]
    Or an engine with very large bores indeed...

Cob

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

As with all vehicles, you stick the key in the ignition. Turn the key. What else would you like to know smart ass. Yes, I mean smart ass, cause you sure ain't being friendly. Why don't you not say anything to me. Why is it that you're nasty towards me every time the opportunity presents itself? Are you jealous that you can't buy a 65 grand truck with a viper motor under the hood? Or, are you jealous that you can't afford to drop a couple grand on a pen! Yeah, I think it's both of the above. I always try to be friendly with people. Then some little twit like you thinks he's cool when he takes a jab at me.
    Dude, chill out. The next time you're about to respond like this please step back from the computer and re-evaluate the situation. Notice, Farmboy emphasized the text "Ten valves per cylinder" which means he was asking specifically about that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Cob (December 15th, 2014), Wile E Coyote (December 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Wow, that's great that you're already here, Hey Quantum Sailor. A few days ago you spoke about the Conid pens. Are they what they're cooked up to be? I like the industrial look of them. I here you can get gold nibs but they don't mention that on their website
    There has been a comprehensive review of them on the site done by Dan. I don't personally own one yet so I couldn't say but the people who do own them seem to like them in the posts they have made about them. When you go to order them the gold nib is an option on the order form, except for the slimline which seems to only have the steel available.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 08:56 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 23rd, 2014 at 05:12 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks

Thanx, for that. My mechanical knowledge is limited to opening the hood. I thought V10 meant ten valves per cylinder. I don't know even know what a valve or a cylinder is. I've just heard the term. And since my truck is a V10 I just naturally thought that meant ten valves per cylinder. Dan, does this help you to see even better that Farmboy was being rude? But that's okay, you don't have to say anything to these guys for being rude and condescending
    Honest mistake as I see your thought process.

The "V" stands for the placement of the cylinders versus an "inline" cylinder engine.

In your truck's case, there are 5 cylinders on each side of the engine set at an angle that forms a "V". That basically allows your (massive) engine to fit under the hood.

If it were an in-line engine, you would have 10 cylinders one after the other. The only way that could be possible is if you were (literally) sitting on top of the engine.

Most four cylinder engines are inline these days. There are also a handful of inline five cylinder engines.

6,8, 10, and 12 cyclinder engines are almost always a "V" configuration. The design allows the engine to be more cubed shape rather than rectangular.

I am, of course, speaking to car/light-truck configurations where space is a concern.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

GING GING (December 15th, 2014)

Banned
    Thanks

Test
    Last edited by GING GING; December 17th, 2014 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Darn it Ging Ging! You had my hopes up thinking I could maybe drop one of those hot engines in my '86 Fleetwood and perk it up a bit!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Thanx, for that. My mechanical knowledge is limited to opening the hood. I thought V10 meant ten valves per cylinder. I don't know even know what a valve or a cylinder is. I've just heard the term. And since my truck is a V10 I just naturally thought that meant ten valves per cylinder. Dan, does this help you to see even better that Farmboy was being rude? But that's okay, you don't have to say anything to these guys for being rude and condescending
    There is a reasonable assumption when people buy and discuss performance vehicles (or pens, for that matter) that they know something about the subject of their discussion.

Another way to interpret rude and condescending is that most people (probably including yourself) have a low tolerance for ignorance when it is not combined with humility and questions.

One of the most valuable lessons I ever learned was to not speak of what I do not know. The second was to be humble enough to ask questions. Those that know can smell a poser a mile away.