Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noodler' s baystate blue

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler' s baystate blue

There is so much online about this ink that I find yet another thread on it is just boring. There are BSB lovers and haters. The lovers won't ever change their mind and the haters won't ever change their mind.

If someone is interested 2 minutes on Google gives them all they need to know. Use it in a cheap dedicated pen, if you like it all is good, if you don't, all is good, just stop posting about it, Baystate Blues War needs to end, all other wars do.

Cheers,

Bud.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

mhosea (June 5th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bud View Post
    There is so much online about this ink that I find yet another thread on it is just boring. There are BSB lovers and haters. The lovers won't ever change their mind and the haters won't ever change their mind.

If someone is interested 2 minutes on Google gives them all they need to know. Use it in a cheap dedicated pen, if you like it all is good, if you don't, all is good, just stop posting about it, Baystate Blues War needs to end, all other wars do.

Cheers,

Bud.
    Yeah, I sympathize with the motivations, but, respectfully, I can't agree.

My view is that it's just ink. A lot of inks draw uncomplimentary comments on forums. To me, extending special status or protection to favored brands is off-putting. A consumer is not allowed a full picture of the brand or its products when negative opinions or stories are discouraged or just deleted. So, no thanks. I'd rather have unfiltered opinions. Even if they clash. Even if they upset fans. When I spend my money, I try to research, to spend wisely. I suspect many would appreciate not having to throw out $21 worth of ink and maybe a stained pen.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Hawk (January 10th, 2016), migo984 (June 5th, 2015), Scrawler (June 5th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

In the War of Baystate Blue, I am true to my Quaker roots and am a conscientious objector. I do, however, visit the troops and make jokes.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 5th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (June 6th, 2015), manoeuver (June 6th, 2015), RichardPepin (February 13th, 2017), Xina (June 19th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    To me, extending special status or protection to favored brands is off-putting.
    I'm not sure I quite grasp your argument. Are you claiming that discussion of this ink is so heavily censored on the internet that if you Google it you can't get a clear picture? Even on FPN what has been said here would not be censored. I've read it all multiple times on FPN. But forget about FPN; how about a nice reddit thread?

http://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens...e_stained_and/
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I'm not sure I quite grasp your argument.
    I thought she was just replying to Uncle Bud's suggestion that the discussion cease... because it was just another discussion about BSB. And that she didn't want the topic "protected". The odd thing is that I agree completely, even though I loathe the ink and wish it would die in a fire at the center of the largest star in the nearest galaxy.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    And that she didn't want the topic "protected".
    I get that much, and I also agree with that sentiment. Nevertheless, I couldn't figure out how we went from the equivalent of "I wish people would stop beating this particular dead horse" to the topic of forbidden discussions and protected brands, which I interpreted as a reference to FPN and the "big red rule".
    --
    Mike

Thanks

O

Cheers,

Bud.
    Yeah, I sympathize with the motivations, but, respectfully, I can't agree.

My view is that it's just ink. A lot of inks draw uncomplimentary comments on forums. To me, extending special status or protection to favored brands is off-putting. A consumer is not allowed a full picture of the brand or its products when negative opinions or stories are discouraged or just deleted. So, no thanks. I'd rather have unfiltered opinions. Even if they clash. Even if they upset fans. When I spend my money, I try to research, to spend wisely. I suspect many would appreciate not having to throw out $21 worth of ink and maybe a stained pen.
    I totally respect your right to have an opinion on BSB, and every other ink out there. My view is that the word has already been spread about this ink, well and truly spread. I actually believe that these posts encourage people to try BSB, they then find out it's good, but mostly bad properties, and then propagate more of these threads.

I have calculated that I have spent 15 hours 23 minutes of my life reading threads like this, and that's time I will never get back. So I'm just going to stop reading them now.

Uncle Bud, signing off of this thread. Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I totally respect your right to have an opinion on BSB, and every other ink out there. My view is that the word has already been spread about this ink, well and truly spread. I actually believe that these posts encourage people to try BSB, they then find out it's good, but mostly bad properties, and then propagate more of these threads.

I have calculated that I have spent 15 hours 23 minutes of my life reading threads like this, and that's time I will never get back. So I'm just going to stop reading them now.

There are new pen and ink users all the time. They are curious people. There are also some people who just want to beat up on Nathan Tardif for political reasons and make blanket statements about his inks as if they were all one thing, with one set of undesirable attributes. As I said, people are curious, they want to try things, but they also want some assurances that Azrael is not going rise up out of the deep and snatch their beloved pens from them, if they experiment. Some inks that are too bothersome for fountain pens have utility with dip pens, and they need to exist for people's artistic creativity. I am prepared to put up with some grief and effort with some inks, and do not believe that all things in life should be plain sailing. I agree with your sentiment, that you should simply ignore threads about things that do not interest you. For instance, I never read the Lamy forum. On the other hand, I do want inks to have a fair and balanced hearing, and not be dismissed for emotive or specious reasons. Like Laura said, it is just ink. I personally always read threads where this ink is mentioned, just to see the frothing at the mouth that results. But then, I was born with a wooden spoon in my hand.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Hawk (January 10th, 2016)

Thanks

I'm not sure I quite grasp your argument.
    I thought she was just replying to Uncle Bud's suggestion that the discussion cease... because it was just another discussion about BSB. And that she didn't want the topic "protected".
    Yes, that's essentially what I was trying to say. Thanks, Jon. Sorry if I was confusing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post

There are new pen and ink users all the time. They are curious people. There are also some people who just want to beat up on Nathan Tardif for political reasons and make blanket statements about his inks as if they were all one thing, with one set of undesirable attributes. As I said, people are curious, they want to try things, but they also want some assurances that Azrael is not going rise up out of the deep and snatch their beloved pens from them, if they experiment.
    Yes, absolutely. Although with regard to the third sentence, it seems to me that the opposite is also true: in fact I know that some people use and like Noodler's precisely because of Nathan's political views. So it cuts both ways, and it's only fair to acknowledge that. I think Nathan is a brilliant marketer, and his business skills amaze me: he has managed to personalize a brand of fountain pen ink in a way that attracts "true fans" in the social media sense. It's a fantastic story. But I digress. Because my admiration for Nathan's skills, creativity and success really doesn't translate into either having to like all, or even most, of inks, including BSB, or thinking that he, and especially BSB, should get some exemption from negative comments.

Scrawler brings up Lamy, which to me is a good example. I happen to like the Lamy Safari, though within boundaries of reason and believing that it is not for everyone. So I read Lamy threads. And I can report that there is almost never a thread about the Lamy Safari in which at least one person doesn't insult it or pronounce it "ugly." And you know what? Sometimes it irritates me, as Uncle Bud may sympathize, because it's like a broken record and it can seem trollish from certain people. But my feelings have survived, and my number of Lamy Safaris only increases. And many negative comments are absolutely fair, and should be brought out for people looking at purchasing the Safari: for example, it does have a difficult section shape. Just like BSB can stain some pens.

You could mention a lot of brands and recall the same thing. Montblanc attracts flames like no other brand. Modern Parker or Sheaffer consumer pens are often assailed by fans of the vintage pens. Pelikan Edelstein inks are "washed out." Unsaturated inks are weak. MB Gandhi hurts my eyes (I said that, half-jokingly). Etc.

As Scrawler says, there are always new users or people newly curious about a topic, which is why many topics are raised again and again. I usually never read BSB threads and don't like to give my opinion because this ink is so contentious, and this brand so beloved by its true fans, and I never want to upset people who really like something. This thread went on longer than others, so I peeked in, and found it amusing. I can see why people wouldn't want to read these kind of threads, however. Usually I don't either. But since they exist, then it's only fair for people to be able to say positive or negative things. Just like with any other brand or product. In my opinion.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (June 6th, 2015), Hawk (January 10th, 2016), Jon Szanto (June 6th, 2015), Marsilius (June 16th, 2015), Scrawler (June 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Exactly Laura, you have basically summed up what I would like to have said. My reference to the Lamy forum was allegorical, as were a number of other things I said. I was trying to be a bit humourous, and my comments cut both ways. I came about because when I used to post on FPN there was no Lamy forum and there was a standing joke about posting on the Lamy forum. I have enabled my daughter to have a collection of almost every colour of Safari for use at university. Topics like this need to be fair and balanced, with the actual ink itself, its good, its bad, its pretty, and its ugly, revealed for the potential user to make their own free choice. Incidentally, when I bought a bottle of BSB to try for myself, to sort the hype from the reality, my daughter bought me a box of vinyl gloves, gave me an old towel, and admonished me most strictly to use them both when I filled my pen.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Laura N (June 6th, 2015)

Thanks

I would just like to add something at this point, all the talk about "these kinds of threads".

This thread was not started to bash BSB, the thread was started to ask if there was anywhere that sold it in Europe... which has not yet been answered. I believe the OP now has enough info to make their own mind up about whether or not they still want to try it.

So having said that, does anyone have a European source for this Devil's milk?
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 16th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    It's not like Google doesn't exist. Took me all of 15 seconds.

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 16th, 2015), stub (September 21st, 2015), Xina (June 19th, 2015)

Thanks

It's not like Google doesn't exist. Took me all of 15 seconds.
    Nice way to be unnecessarily rude, passive aggressive much? I could have just as easily said "have you tried eBay?".

The nice part of asking a community is not only Googling the answer and getting a quick fix. But rather getting feedback; recommendations for good stores and also the stores to be wary of. Where to get the best prices and deals. We in the US all know about Goulet pens, the Andersons, etc... but I don't know who to recommended in Europe and I wouldn't presume to.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

MmmCuppycakes (April 25th, 2016)

Thanks

The nice part of asking a community is not only Googling the answer and getting a quick fix. But rather getting feedback; recommendations for good stores and also the stores to be wary of. Where to get the best prices and deals. We in the US all know about Goulet pens, the Andersons, etc... but I don't know who to recommended in Europe and I wouldn't presume to.
    I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, but frankly, direct. One of the tiniest things I ask of people is to just do some minimum of work on their own. Of the two sentence first post, the 2nd simply said "I can't find it in Europe." Well, at least the UK is part of the EU, and it took no effort to find that. After a couple of days, no one from the European membership has chimed in with any sources. All I was doing was implying that... one can always get started on their own. Any of us who has been around for a bit acknowledge that BSB is well, well documented on the web. Another "what do you think about it" doesn't add a whole lot.

I'm sorry if the brief nature of my post seemed overtly rude. In brevity, I was trying to mimic the ease with which - at the very least - a good start of information could be found. I like to help people, and even more, those that are interested in helping themselves, too.

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 16th, 2015), stub (September 21st, 2015), Xina (June 19th, 2015)

Thanks

But where is Baystate Blue on that web site?
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Well, it is NOT my day, today! I didn't scroll through all of the offerings: it appears they don't list it among their inks.

My apologies to Sammyo, Mike, the OP, and everyone else. I'll delete comments if desired, or can leave them in place to show my haste. Having said that, I'm out of here.

~ Benjamin Franklin

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

MmmCuppycakes (April 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Well, it is NOT my day, today! I didn't scroll through all of the offerings: it appears they don't list it among their inks.

My apologies to Sammyo, Mike, the OP, and everyone else. I'll delete comments if desired, or can leave them in place to show my haste. Having said that, I'm out of here.
    No need to delete, I am community forum clique scarred. Every time I get into a hobby or interest, within a few months I am disappointed with the general snobbery that entails. The fact is that I see so much less of it here in the FP world

I also apologise of my response was overly harsh, I am sadly damaged but the holier than thou crowd in my other worlds m(_ _)m
    Sam O

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 6th, 2015)

Thanks

In Jon's defence. 5 second Google search unveiled this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Noodlers-Sta.../dp/B0014LQ6CU

9 left in stock at time of posting £12.75 + £4.38 postage, no price limit was given. Anything about this ink is easily found out if you are willing to spend a very little time in research. I think that is what Jon, and I was trying to say.

This time, I really am out of here, so fed up with BSB threads.

Bud.
    Last edited by Uncle Bud; June 6th, 2015 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Grammatical error

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    If you have a problem with BSB staining your sink, use hand sanitizer gel. Rub it in and wash it away. My problem with BSB is that it fades. This kind of ink should have a single pen reserved for it. DO not under any circumstances let BSB get anywhere near Private Reserve Hot Bubblegum, it will bring on the apocalypse. You have been warned.
    I am curious it congeals or explodes or what happens?
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.