Thread: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: Silver Fox

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

Default Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: Silver Fox

I have decided to review some of my inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink Silver Fox. I would call it a light grey. It doesn't seem to lean towards green or blue specifically. So it's a nice neutral grey. It's a very well behaved ink with some shading. I found it flowed smoothly across the page, and had no problems with lubrication in the 2 pens I used. I must admit I didn't like the nib on the SMT and found it difficult to write with.

This ink exhibits no showthrough or bleedthrough on my thick paper.

It isn't a saturated ink, and a comparison with Montblanc Einstein shows that.

• The water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink, but it's reasonably resistant for a short time.

• Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, and the nib used at that time was an Italic, this ink took 17-18 secs to dry.

• It flows through the pen well and lubricates the nib well. I saw no skips or hard starts from either of the pens that both stayed uncapped while I swapped and changed, and did swabs and comparisons with other inks.

• It is currently available in special 40ml cake slice shaped glass bottles.

• Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

Diamine Silver Fox.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 28th, 2015 at 10:57 AM.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

inklord (May 31st, 2015), Jeph (May 28th, 2015), KKay (December 14th, 2015), Laura N (May 30th, 2015), Marsilius (June 7th, 2015), Neo (May 28th, 2015), Pennanngalan (May 29th, 2015), pica pica (May 28th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (May 31st, 2015), sharmon202 (May 28th, 2015), southpaw52 (May 28th, 2015), Sunil Kumar Garg (September 13th, 2021), Uncle Bud (May 28th, 2015), Xina (June 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine 150th Anniversary Ink: Silver Fox

Nice review thanks for sharing.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

4. The Following User Says Thank You to southpaw52 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 28th, 2015)

Thanks

You're welcome.

Thanks

Chrissy, thank you for the review and the earlier recommendation. It seems I have a new favourite ink. Indeed it is a neutral grey which seems getting lighter when dry.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pica pica For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 31st, 2015)

Thanks

I always end up with a really light shade of gray when using that ink. I like Diamine inks quite a bit but for some reason that one always just looks watered down for me. It never gets anywhere near as dark as yours showing on my computer.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

I have been looking for a nice lighter grey for a while now, this might just be it. thanks for another great review.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bud For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 31st, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Sailor View Post
    I always end up with a really light shade of gray when using that ink. I like Diamine inks quite a bit but for some reason that one always just looks watered down for me. It never gets anywhere near as dark as yours showing on my computer.
    I didn't leave it in the pen for a few days before I wrote the review, but I am always very careful to use Photoshop to try to match the shade I see on paper to the shade I see on screen, as well as I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I didn't leave it in the pen for a few days before I wrote the review, but I am always very careful to use Photoshop to try to match the shade I see on paper to the shade I see on screen, as well as I can.
    I don't doubt the accuracy of the picture. I'm sure that results may vary on the experience the ink gives depending on a lot of factors. I was just surprised at how much nicer your color looks.

Thanks

I don't doubt the accuracy of the picture. I'm sure that results may vary on the experience the ink gives depending on a lot of factors. I was just surprised at how much nicer your color looks.
    Maybe it's just the 2 pens I used in combination with the paper. If I wanted to try and make it look darker, I would put it in a pen that wrote with good flow and leave it in there for several days.

When I clean out my pens after testing an ink, I leave them nib down in a tumbler filled with wads of kitchen roll for 2 or 3 days so that the internal feeds are really dry, before I fill them again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pica pica View Post
    Chrissy, thank you for the review and the earlier recommendation. It seems I have a new favourite ink. Indeed it is a neutral grey which seems getting lighter when dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bud View Post
    I have been looking for a nice lighter grey for a while now, this might just be it. thanks for another great review.
    You're both welcome

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Maybe it's just the 2 pens I used in combination with the paper. If I wanted to try and make it look darker, I would put it in a pen that wrote with good flow and leave it in there for several days.

When I clean out my pens after testing an ink, I leave them nib down in a tumbler filled with wads of kitchen roll for 2 or 3 days so that the internal feeds are really dry, before I fill them again.
    I'll give that a try, maybe it will darken up for me. Thanks for the tip.