Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have pen peace?

Thanks

Default Do you have pen peace?

Just curious:

• Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?
    • How do you manage to curb temptations?
    • If you do not have pen peace, what are you aching to buy?

I want to say I have pen peace in that I don't think I will buy a fountain pen in the near future. And then this stripes version of the Pilot VP came up in a shop I frequently check and I am extremely tempted.

P.S. Tell me it is a waste of money and to not buy it! Or buy it up for me, so it is no longer available in the shop. Then gift it to me. Thanks, hehe.

Thanks

Default Re: Do you have pen peace?

FWIW, I think it is a waste of money. I have owned a VP and a Decimo and found with both that I could not understand what people saw in them, other than the ease of deployment, as if a fountain pen was some sort of life or death device where the ability to instantaneously start writing while accompanied by a maddening clicking sound was critical.

I found them both to be uncomfortable for writing more than a grocery list, the VP was preternaturally heavy, the decimo slightly less so, they are a major pain in the arse to fill and don't hold much ink when they do. But they come in a wide array of colours and limited editions, which seems to be the importnant thing.

To be fair, their nibs are nice, and their QC is better than almost all of their competitors. If you want a $300 fidget toy that writes and sends your colleagues insane in meetings while you constantly click it to extend and retract the nib to stop it drying out, go for it.
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to silverlifter For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 4th, 2020), AzJon (December 14th, 2020), Detman101 (December 3rd, 2020), jace (December 2nd, 2020), TammysPenPassion (July 16th, 2021), TFarnon (July 16th, 2021), TSherbs (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

I do have pen peace, but if I see something I’ll reserve the right to purchase.

My recent Wing Sung Flighter is a joy to use and only cost $22.

My Esterbrook collection is mighty nice and the 1942 Parker 51’s live up to the legend wonderfully.

I am a user/collector. I won’t own something I can’t carry.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jace View Post
    Just curious:

I want to say I have pen peace in that I don't think I will buy a fountain pen in the near future. And then this stripes version of the Pilot VP came up in a shop I frequently check and I am extremely tempted.
    • Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?
      Yes I do. I no longer hanker after any particular pens. My collection is enough for me and I'm paring it down rather than increasing it.
    • How do you manage to curb temptations?
      It's just something that happens naturally when you start to feel your age.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 26th, 2021 at 12:26 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (December 4th, 2020), Cyril (December 20th, 2020), ethernautrix (December 4th, 2020), Jerome Tarshis (December 7th, 2020), welch (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I won’t own something I can’t carry.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

amk (December 19th, 2020), R.A. Stewart (September 14th, 2021), Scrawler (July 14th, 2021), Stands on Feet (December 3rd, 2020), TFarnon (July 16th, 2021)

Thanks

1. Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?

Yes aaaaaaaand... no. I know what I like and have a really nice collection of pens that I like (with multiples of the same models in different makes/color schemes, like the nine post-1949 Pelikan 100N etc.). That has sadly just increased my interest in gaining those rare ones that elude me and also other pretty, pretty pens from certain trusted brands. Unfortunately, I have an excellent taste.

2. How do you manage to curb temptations?

I have come to accept the limitations of my means, and also the fact that being able to buy something does not mean that I could actually afford it.

3. If you do not have pen peace, what are you aching to buy?

Oh, I have a list. A long, long list. Heck, here goes... I could never ever dream of buying all or even tenth of those (maybe if I won in a lottery) but... one can dream and it is good to have goals.

I would be very happy with a select few ending up in my flock, with vintage Pelikans (namely, more 100N/101N), M924 White Tiger and that M1000 Green Ray at the top of the list.

Pelikan - Modern

- Pelikan M205 Demonstrator - EF
    - Pelikan M205 Demonstrator - BB (CI) or Broad Italic
    - Pelikan M700 Toledo (Old style) - EF
    - Pelikan M700 Toledo (Old style) - BB (CI) or Broad Italic
    - Pelikan M710 Toledo (Old style) - Sterling sleeve
    - Pelikan M800 Raden Gekko (Moonlight)
    - Pelikan M800 Raden Kyokko (Sunlight)
    - Pelikan M800 Kirin - BB (CI) or Broad Italic
    - Pelikan M800 Xuan Wu - BB (CI) or Broad Italic
    - Pelikan M924 White Tiger - BB (CI) or Broad Italic
    - Pelikan M1000 Raden Gekko (Moonlight)
    - Pelikan M1000 Raden Kyokko (Sunlight)
    - Pelikan M1000 Green Ray

Pelikan - Maki-e

- Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Yukiwa Fuyu-usagi (Winter)
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Seaside
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Koi
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Autumn Flowers
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Dragonfly
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Dragon and Phoenix
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Pelicans in Japan
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Samurai
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Ocean Mystery
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Byakko (White Tiger)
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Blue Mount Fuji
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Crane & Turtle
    - Pelikan M1000 Maki-e Ivy

Pelikan - Vintage

- Pelikan 100N (Post war) - NOS/Mint or comparable.
    - Pelikan 101N (Post war) - NOS/Mint or comparable.
    - Pelikan 400/N/NN - NOS/Mint or comparable.
    - B, BB & BBB nibs for previous vintage Pelikans - Any NOS/Mint or comparable.

Pelican - Vintage - Here is another list for vintage birds…

- Pelikan Fountain Pen (the first and the original)
    - First year Pelikan 100
    - First year Pelikan 100 in various bindes
    - Pelikan 101N Light Tortoise
    - Pelikan 101N Tortoise - Short cap top
    - Pelikan 101N Light Tortoise
    - Pelikan 100N MoP
    - Pelikan 100N transitional with striped light green binde
    - Pelikan 400 striped light green binde
    - Pelikan 400/N/NN in Sea green / Light Tortoise / MoP etc.

Montblanc - Modern

- Montblanc Meisterstück Martelé Sterling 146
    - Montblanc Meisterstück Le Petit Prince Solitaire Doué LeGrand / 146
    - Montblanc Meisterstück Solitaire Sterling Pinstripe 146 (First edition)

Montblanc - WE / POA

- Montblanc WE Edgar Allan Poe
    - Montblanc WE Jules Verne
    - Montblanc POA Andrew Carnegie 888

Montblanc - Vintage

- Montblanc 139
    - Montblanc 139 L

Sigh... so many pretty pens...

Thanks

I have pen peace. I'm not eager to buy more pens, but I know I will. I'll buy inexpensive pens, for a purpose and not just to have as part of a collection.

One purpose is to have pens to give away when someone notices that I use a fountain pen, and asks about them. I think it is nicer for them to have a fountain pen, a lower-end Faber Castell, a Manuscript, or a Helix from Cult Pens for instance, to try over a period of time rather than for a moment or two. I'm sure that having a fountain pen of there own has motivated more than a few to become interested in using them, and begin exploring the world of pen and ink.

Another purpose I have for inexpensive pens is to have a knockabout pen to carry with a journal, my Filofax diary, or in one of the backpacks that I have set for various uses. I found it more efficient and convenient to keep the things I need for business meetings, the files I need for projects, and the files I need for a particular organisation I chair (My predecessor carried them in a heavy metal file box!) in separate backpacks rather than having to change all of it for each meeting. Yes, that means leaving pens in each bag. It also means not having a pen when I need one -- a not leaving and losing a 'good' pen at a meeting (BTDT!).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

R.A. Stewart (October 29th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,655 Times in 1,132 Posts

Just curious: ...
    Do you have pen peace?
    More like an uneasy truce, usually broken by the same thing that prompted this thread: curiosity.

How do you manage to curb temptations?
    Mostly by waiting and considering my means.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 3rd, 2020), ethernautrix (December 4th, 2020), fountainpenkid (December 3rd, 2020), Jerome Tarshis (December 7th, 2020), TSherbs (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks

Kind of. I just keep reminding myself that I don't use the pens I already own, so that usually curbs the impulse to buy another one. That, and I remember that just about any modern pen that I can afford has a German IPG nib on it (which I can get on any cheap pen), so I might as well buy a rollerball. Vintage pens are pretty much out of the picture, as the ones I lust after are either WAY out of my budget range or I already have an example that I don't use [enough].
    Sent from my constipated POS computer at work.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Biber For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (December 15th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I won’t own something I can’t carry.
    That's great - now all you need is a bottle of ink big enough to put it in.

Thanks

Just curious:
    [*]Do you have pen peace in the sense you are happy with your fountain pen collection and not tempted to buy anymore?
    A. NO!! I keep buying pens and parts that do not satisfy my need or just plain never friggin show up until after I forget why I bought them in the first damn place. This is a hellish repetitive cycle!!!
    [*]How do you manage to curb temptations?
    A. I can't!!! There HAS to be something that will give me what I need!! A Flex pen that has large ink capacity, needlepoint nib and vintage level flex...that's all I friggin want and I CANNOT get it!!!
    [*]If you do not have pen peace, what are you aching to buy?
    A. See previous answer. I've bought pens...nibs...a vintage pen which I have yet to see or hold, nibs from other countries that haven't shown up, tried to buy vintage pens locally in the US from flaky sellers that don't answer emails, then the ones that do want your firstborn for what THEY think is what you want...not what you asked/paid for.

P.S. Tell me it is a waste of money and to not buy it! Or buy it up for me, so it is no longer available in the shop. Then gift it to me. Thanks, hehe.
    I have no peace.
    This is the 5th circle of hell.
    Last edited by Detman101; December 3rd, 2020 at 05:18 AM.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

Yes, to the opening question. There are pens I might buy, though nothing for which I am searching. For any given attractive (to me) pen I can pick out something I have already which is the same, equivalent, or gives me as much pleasure as the other would anyway.

It is not difficult not to buy when more frequently I look at some already set aside and think "must get around to selling those". They are perfectly good pens, but duplicates or have non-preferred nibs.

I can look back over the past year or two to see my rate of purchases declining, so the halt was smooth and comfortable.

Thanks

I enjoy buying pens.
    Allan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TAYLORPUPPY For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

I started writing more, and ironically stopped thinking so much about buying more pens. The impetus for this change was after I'd bought some 2nd hand vintage pens a few years back. I sat down to spend the day writing, and spent most of the day cleaning and fiddling with these pens to get them writing well instead. Instead of using a pen in my collection that worked to get the job done, I'd allowed some tools that didn't work so well to get in the way of the work. This resulted in a change of priorities or focus.

I'd also visited Barbara Hepworth's House in St Ives - and was impressed on how she'd arranged her living space so she has a place to work and live. Taking inspiration from this, I arranged a writing space - I put a desk in a comfortable spot, organised some notebooks and paper, and got a pen tray.

The pens that got most use were the ones that could sit on a desk without drying up over a short space of time. Pens that clogged, or that I had to spend time tinkering with to get them writing ended up in the spares box, and the pretty pens (they inspire me) that allowed me to sit and do a whole bunch of words stayed.

The result is a random rotation of five or six pens, and a handful of pencils, that get used all the time. The rest are sitting. In fact, rather than experience peace, I'm starting to experience irritation at the amount spent on pens that I don't use, and i'm thinkig of ways to sell them.

I ordered a "plain" Nakaya to celebrate a significant birthday, but I think that's it.

If there one pen I'd lie - it would be a Nakaya Tamesukashi - but that is way out of my price bracket, and I'm unlikely to make that much in (rare) overtime. I'd much raather save the money and maybe take a trip to Japan.

Now, I am a writer, who uses some very nice pens, but not a collector. Pens have to act as tools to help me get words on the page. If a pen won't let me do that, for whatever reason, it is of no use to me.

I need to spend the time getting better writing, than owning "more pens".
    Last edited by Sandy; December 3rd, 2020 at 03:21 PM.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 4th, 2020), catbert (December 2nd, 2020), Detman101 (December 2nd, 2020), jace (December 2nd, 2020), R.A. Stewart (October 29th, 2021), Sailor Kenshin (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    FWIW, I think it is a waste of money. I have owned a VP and a Decimo and found with both that I could not understand what people saw in them, other than the ease of deployment, as if a fountain pen was some sort of life or death device where the ability to instantaneously start writing while accompanied by a maddening clicking sound was critical....
    I guffawed at this. This is exactly why I have a Decimo (standard blue).

I have *some* pen peace. I, too, have to curb my interest in other things. I have been practicing this buying negation habit for 45 years, on every purchase I have ever made. I have only ever splurged on food (restaurants), and only about 5 times in my life. I have never bought an expensive item, in any shape or form. Truly, never. Sure, my house was expensive for my wife and me when we bought it, but we are both teachers and it is tiny and below the national average for a home in value. I am finally paying $10 for 12oz of locally roasted coffee beans: I consider this a splurge. And I am not poor. I just don't buy stuff that costs much money. (Well, except the college educations for two children....)

But "peace" is not exactly what I would generally call my frame of mind, no.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 2nd, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

I like trying new pens. But currently I don't have anything in mind to try next except the pens I already have. For awhile I mostly want to just keep using my new to me Pelikan 140. I also am slowly selling off pens to trim down the collection.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azkid For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 2nd, 2020), Sailor Kenshin (December 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

Peace comes and goes.

I have some really nice pens that i enjoy using. I can be content with these for years at a time then suddenly take an interest in something new.

I always enjoy hunting for pens on the backroads of the midwest, too. At this point, it’s less to get a new pen than reason to explore.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Do you have pen peace?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I started writing more, and ironically stopped thinking so much about buying more pens. The impetus for this change was after I'd bought some 2nd hand vintage pens a few years back. I sat down to spend the day writing, and spent most of the day cleaning and fiddling with these pens to get them writing well instead. Instead of using a pen in my collection that worked to get the job done, I'd allowed some tools that didn't work so well to get in the way of the work. This resulted in a change of priorities or focus.

I'd also visited Barbara Hepworth's House in St Ives - and was impressed on how she'd arranged her living space so she has a place to work and live. Taking inspiration from this, I arranged a writing space - I put a desk in a comfortable spot, organised some notebooks and paper, and got a pen tray.

The pens that got most use were the ones that could sit on a desk without drying up over a short space of time. Pens that clogged, or that I had to spend time tinkering with to get them writing ended up in the spares box, and the pretty pens (they inspire me) that allowed me to sit and do a whole bunch of words stayed.

The result is a random rotation of five or six pens, and a handful of pencils, that get used all the time. The rest are sitting. In fact, rather than experience peace, I'm starting to experience irritation at the amount spent on pens that I don't use, and i'm thinkig of ways to sell them.

I ordered a "plain" Nakaya to celebrate a significant birthday, but I think that's it.

If there one pen I'd lie - it would be a Nakaya Tamesukashi - but that is way out of my price bracket, and I'm unlikely to make that much in (rare) overtime. I'd much raather save the money and maybe take a trip to Japan.

Now, I am a writer, who uses some very nice pens, but not a collector. Pens have to act as tools to help me get words on the page. If a pen won't let me do that, for whatever reason, it is of no use to me.

I need to spend the time getting better writing, than owning "more pens".

The impetus for this change was after I'd bought some 2nd hand vintage pens a few years back. I sat down to spend the day writing, and spent most of the day cleaning and fiddling with these pens to get them writing well instead. Instead of using a pen in my collection that worked to get the job done, I'd allowed some tools that didn't work so well to get in the way of the work. This resulted in a change of priorities or focus.
    I love the structure of this post, it's a perfect circle...like a song.
    Amazing.
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

Thanks

I neglected to answer some questions, so here goes:

As the years get by i am pickier about the pens i acquire. One of the things i have learned about myself is that pens in different colors or finishes do not add to my enjoyment. I am content with black pens, in fact, i usually prefer the plain ol’ black.

I am also pickier about nibs. Medium nib? Fine niib? Forget it. I won’t consider a pen unless it gives some line variation. I get bored otherwise

As for the Capless, no, don’t get it. It’s too heavy and functionally no different than any other Capless.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I'm seeing a long blank space with text at the bottom obscuring the first eleven posts, even after refreshing several times. Here's a screenshot:

Screenshot_20201203-112620.png

Anyone else seeing this?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 4th, 2020)