Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to choose a pen for important occasion

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Default how to choose a pen for important occasion

How do you choose which pen you will use for an important occasion?

I am asking everyone who reads this that question.

because right now, I'm trying to figure it out myself.

In two days I will be signing one of the most important pieces of paper of my life.
    The beginning of the end of my career. It is bittersweet. Not at all how I imagined my working life/career ending.
    But for the best in the end.

It's also the first important thing I've had to sign since getting in to fountain pens as a hobby.

I've narrowed it down to 4
    My 4 "best"/most... prestigious?... I guess?.... I donno... it's the 4 pens that stand out the most to me in my collection.
    All 4 are good writers
    All 4 have been restored, by me

Ink will likely be either Midway Blue or Salix

here are my 4 choices: (oddly, all 4 pens are engraved... weird... and absolutely not planned)

- 1st qtr 1946 India Black DJ Parker "51" with Heirloom cap (nib is a 1949... replacement?...)
    Fine nib, very wet.

- 1950 Parker "51" Flighter, strangely, it is engraved (barely visible) "METRO" yeah... I don't get it either...
    nice medium nib, not particularly wet.

- 1955-1959 Sheaffer 112SKY Triumph Snorkel (engraved name has been digitally removed from the photo because the name is very unique)
    Fine/Medium nib, kinda on the dry side.

- 1941 Vacumatic Jr in Silver Pearl. This is the most recent of the 4 acquisitions. It (and it's matching pencil) came in the matching blue leather Parker case with the RCAF Badge on it, as well as the owner's Initials, all in gold. The owner's name is on both pen and pencil. Unfortunately, I have no further information WRT to this particular RCAF member. Fine nib, not particularly wet.
    So far this pen is the leader... all 5 of the people closest to me that I asked, all said they liked that one best.
    Additionally, the military connection with the pen is apropos.
    (additional pic here: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post327545 )

so... how do YOU choose which pen to use? which ink to use?

and, any thoughts on my choices? (my friends and family think I'm a little nuts for actually putting thought into this...)

Last edited by INeedAFinancialAdvisor; June 22nd, 2021 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: how to choose a pen for important occasion

Please choose the pen and ink that speaks to you the most. Pick that pen that you feel represents the task at hand best. Maybe it is the one that you restored and thus gave it another chapter of life which is from i gather what you will also be doing. Don't let others make that selection it is you who will be using it. It is about what that pen does for you.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Personally, I tend to go with what I have to hand. Most of my pens will be inked with an IG or pigment ink, so I'll sign happy in the knowledge that my john hancock is preserved for posterity.

In this case, seeing it is the end of an era, I'd go with the 51. First, it is black, so has that formality going for it. Second, it has Kono on it, and this seems like a moment of shedding what you no longer need/want. Bon chance!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Honestly, I'd look at it almost 180 reversed: whichever pen you use for this momentous occasion will, by nature of the deed, pick up a personally historic usage, and forever be known as the pen that signed that document. The lowliest pen in your quiver will take on an importance that none of the others will be able to rightly claim. Choose which pen you bestow that honor upon yourself.

If it were me, I'd put a permanent blue ink in it. Make that signature show and last. Congratulations on a big life move.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mark320i View Post
    Please choose the pen and ink that speaks to you the most. Pick that pen that you feel represents the task at hand best. Maybe it is the one that you restored and thus gave it another chapter of life which is from i gather what you will also be doing. Don't let others make that selection it is you who will be using it. It is about what that pen does for you.

Part of the issue is that I've restored all of them!
    And I like all of them! that's why I bought and restored them!
    And thank you for the concern, I really do appreciate it.
    But I want to make clear that I'm not "letting someone else chose for me". That is not my intention.
    I'm asking for suggestions/opinions
    "One of the advantages of being a captain, Doctor, is being able to ask for advice without necessarily having to take it."
    - James T Kirk, Capt USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Personally, I tend to go with what I have to hand. Most of my pens will be inked with an IG or pigment ink, so I'll sign happy in the knowledge that my john hancock is preserved for posterity.

In this case, seeing it is the end of an era, I'd go with the 51. First, it is black, so has that formality going for it. Second, it has Kono on it, and this seems like a moment of shedding what you no longer need/want. Bon chance!
    I do like the point WRT to the pen being black and formal. The snorkel is a little blingy... The other two, less so...
    I will admit to being absolutely ignorant to the significance of the engraving containing the word Kono (beyond it being a family name...)
    And unfortunately, google did not provide enlightenment :/
    -a tiny bit of pedantry: it's "Bonne chance" (yes, I speak French... why do you think I have this OUTRAGEOUS ACCENT!?) :P

(and: merci )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Honestly, I'd look at it almost 180 reversed: whichever pen you use for this momentous occasion will, by nature of the deed, pick up a personally historic usage, and forever be known as the pen that signed that document. The lowliest pen in your quiver will take on an importance that none of the others will be able to rightly claim. Choose which pen you bestow that honor upon yourself.

If it were me, I'd put a permanent blue ink in it. Make that signature show and last. Congratulations on a big life move.
    oooh... good point... I could use one of my snazzy new flighter 601's (they are VERY nice btw)... and some Noodler's Bad Blue Heron ... I mean, its "laser proof"!
    I like Noodler's, but I'm not putting BBH in my Vac... or my DJ "51"... well, maybe the "51"... lucite is bomb proof
    Thanks btw, it's a big move, it's been expected now for over 2.5 yrs, but it's one of those... when it actually starts to hit you that this is "happening" kinda moments... and this is only the beginning of it. It's likely to take another yr or so to complete... Lots more paperwork to sign over that time...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    I will admit to being absolutely ignorant to the significance of the engraving containing the word Kono (beyond it being a family name...)
    -a tiny bit of pedantry: it's "Bonne chance" (yes, I speak French... why do you think I have this OUTRAGEOUS ACCENT!?) :P

Turns out Google wouldn't have helped anyway. Apparently, the person I was thinking of is Marie Kondo

Désolé, c'est de ma faute!
    Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Thanks

Recommend 1941 Vacumatic Jr in Silver Pearl.
    The reason, you will most likely be signing documents that are not suited for foutain pens. Suggest taking the pen that puts down the least amount of ink. Either by nib size or by writing with the nib in reverse. The second consideration is if mutliple copies with carbon paper or similar is required then you need a stiffer writer again with the least amount of ink. Seems the Jr is what fits that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mark320i For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (June 22nd, 2021)

Thanks

Something else to keep in mind is that while i have been using fountain pens for 40 years and they are my primary method of writing i understand that sometimes a quality ball point is the best tool for the job! Why i always carry a karas kustoms bolt with me. Somethings just are not meant to be used with a fountain pen.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mark320i For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silverlifter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Turns out Google wouldn't have helped anyway. Apparently, the person I was thinking of is Marie Kondo

Désolé, c'est de ma faute!
    hahaha, no worries, I wondered if maybe that was what you had meant

Recommend 1941 Vacumatic Jr in Silver Pearl.
    The reason, you will most likely be signing documents that are not suited for foutain pens. Suggest taking the pen that puts down the least amount of ink. Either by nib size or by writing with the nib in reverse. The second consideration is if mutliple copies with carbon paper or similar is required then you need a stiffer writer again with the least amount of ink. Seems the Jr is what fits that.

I expect the paper to be absolute junk (Govt. issue and all...) so drier is a pretty good idea... Carbon copies is not a concern, it'll be fresh off the printer/"sign here" kinda stuff I imagine.

I'm being given a lot to think about that I hadn't considered (here and on FPN) ... I'm not complaining! I'm thankful!
    These considerations may have a drastic effect on what I end up using...

Thanks

How do you choose which pen you will use for an important occasion? There are three real options here: impressive, ostentatious, and understated. Understated is my default choice, and with that I would consider either of my Worcester pens, or a Vintage Conway Stewart.

Of the four pens pictured, i would go with the second Parker, the silver coloured 1950 '51' Flighter.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Something else to keep in mind is that while i have been using fountain pens for 40 years and they are my primary method of writing i understand that sometimes a quality ball point is the best tool for the job! Why i always carry a karas kustoms bolt with me. Somethings just are not meant to be used with a fountain pen.

That's what the fisher space pen is for but man... it's so nasty to write with...

Quote Originally Posted by An old bloke View Post
    How do you choose which pen you will use for an important occasion? There are three real options here: impressive, ostentatious, and understated. Understated is my default choice, and with that I would consider either of my Worcester pens, or a Vintage Conway Stewart.

Of the four pens pictured, i would go with the second Parker, the silver coloured 1950 '51' Flighter.
    thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

'Kono' (konore) in Japanese means "This" in the sense of a summation or exact definition of an object. It carries the image of a finger point at an object as the choice or meaning.

That might be appropriate.

Thanks

This question varies persons to persons.
    If you have one pen - there's no question.
    If you have two - just one hesitation in the question. which one is the back up.
    If you have three- two back ups
    If you have four- four back ups
    and the list goes ....

I think it is just like asking some one " WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHILD " Think what is your answer.

Why the US president have more than 15 pens to sign 15 constitutional stuffs ?

I think it is because they are bloody idiots who have no confidence in anything to move on in doing what they are doing.
    They don't know even with a solid a pen can fill a 500 page note book. ( I am scratching my head and Make a sound HAAAAA... )
    do they know about the pen M O N T B L A N C ???
    Last edited by Cyril; June 23rd, 2021 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post

Why the US president have more than 15 pens to sign 15 constitutional stuffs ?

I think it is because they are bloody idiots who have no confidence in anything to move on in doing what they are doing.
    They don't know even with a solid a pen can fill a 500 page note book. ( I am scratching my head and Make a sound HAAAAA... )
    do they know about the pen M O N T B L A N C ???
    I always thought that was so they could give them away to people who were significant/important to the creation of the bill...

Thanks

Thank you all for your input

It has given me a lot to consider that I had not originally realized.

That said, it seems the decision has been made for me; this will be getting done by email... so my signature will be getting applied by my Mac... :P

oh well, at least now I know what to consider for the NEXT time someone asks me to sign something...

for the record: as of right now, I was considering a 601 flighter (chrome trim) with either Bad Blue Heron, or Q-Eternity
    (still need to test how both those inks act on bad paper...)

thanks again to everyone, I really appreciate it

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Interesting problem.

Here's an idea, since you like all four, ask someone to put them in a pen case or pouch the day before.

When the moment comes, pick one from the pen case without looking, and then sign using it.

That way whichever you pick will become "the" pen for that momentous occasion.
    As a bonus, the name engraved on the chosen one will forever be associated with the signing.

And do let us know which one is "the one" when it's over.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Interesting problem.

Here's an idea, since you like all four, ask someone to put them in a pen case or pouch the day before.

When the moment comes, pick one from the pen case without looking, and then sign using it.

That way whichever you pick will become "the" pen for that momentous occasion.
    As a bonus, the name engraved on the chosen one will forever be associated with the signing.

And do let us know which one is "the one" when it's over.
    My wife had suggested that I put them in a hat and pick one, or that she would do it (since I would know which pen I was touching even without looking...)

You must have been typing your post just as I was posting that the decision has been taken away from me, and the answer is: none of them! :/
    Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks

You could use the pen as a stick to press the keys on your keyboard as you type your signature.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

Cyril (June 23rd, 2021), guyy (June 23rd, 2021), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (June 23rd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    You could use the pen as a stick to press the keys on your keyboard as you type your signature.
    Nah. Mac has this cool thing where you take a picture of your signature and it will embed it into a pdf.

That picture was taken years ago and i will likely not update it. Also it’s b/w only :/