Thread: Pilot Custom Inlaid nib falls off.

Thanks

Unhappy Pilot Custom Inlaid nib falls off.

My Pilot Custom Black Stripe's inlaid nib likes to fall off whenever I clean the nib.

Pilot-1.jpeg

That was not too bad as I just put it back on. But lately, ink has started to leak and blob from the edges of the inlaid portion (there's a little peeking out in the photo below). So, I am figuring that the nib is held in place by more than the clips on the nib - I'm guessing there is some kind of glue involved.

Pilot 2.jpeg Pilot 3.jpeg

What is a good way to repair this so the nib stays where it is supposed to be?

And on another topic, how do I resize the images? I searched all over and can't find anything to adjust them. (EDIT - I managed to adjust them smaller - thanks to Jar)
    Last edited by PecosPeet; September 11th, 2017 at 10:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Pilot Custom Inlaid nib falls off.

You resize images on YOUR computer. And why are you cleaning a nib?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    You resize images on YOUR computer. And why are you cleaning a nib?
    I was afraid that might be the answer - a bit of practice and I'll probably be able to get them to a better size.

The cleaning of the nib is after filling the pen. So, it's just a gentle wipe with a cloth.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,701 Times in 1,971 Posts

Looking at the construction of the nib and nib seating, I don't think there is any glue involved.
    You can try these:

1. Push the "wings" that secure the nib inwards using your fingers, just a tad. That will make the nib "hugs" the feed a little tighter.

2. Clean up as much as you can the ink residue from the ridges of where the nib is seated (the ones where the blob of ink peeked out). After you clean this area thoroughly, let it dry, and then put a thin layer of silicon grease just inside the "lip" so the silicone grease won't interfere with the ink flow, but it'll prevent leaking out. If it did work, you may have to reapply the silicone grease once in a while because it'll wash out eventually. Using cartridges instead of filling from bottle would help keep the silicone grease in place longer.

This is just what I'd try myself were I in your position, it may work, or not.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

PecosPeet (September 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Well, I don't know what the right way is, but I can tell you how I'd want to proceed just from what I see there.

I'd want to remove the feed from the section and secure the nib with a waterproof adhesive/sealant on the section. Silicone might be strong enough, or it might not. I'd probably try GS Hypo Cement, actually, but I'd ask around to see if any pen repair expert has a better recommendation. Note that anything applied must be done in the right amount, very carefully and sparingly, because I wouldn't want any to be extruded onto the exposed underside of the nib or out onto the section, and there can't be any stand-off between the nib and section. Once it cured and I could verify that the exposed underside of the nib was completely free of any overage, the feed could go back in, and I'd be on my way--or so I think from up here in the cheap seats.
    Last edited by mhosea; September 12th, 2017 at 04:48 PM.
    --
    Mike

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

PecosPeet (September 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Thanks penwash and mhosea. I took another look at the pen and not sure how I missed this. The nib was definitely glued in place - I managed to scrape away the glue residue from the section with my thumb nail. There was no such residue on the underside of the nib.

Now, the problem. I'm afraid that removing the feed would be stupid. It's not clear how it comes out or even if it is meant to be taken out by a non-pro. I'd be much happier doing this without removing the feed. So I need to figure out how to glue the nib back in without getting any glue onto the feed or leaking out onto the outside of the section.

That got me thinking of another post I saw suggesting that contact cement might be useful fitting a section into the barrel where a pressure fit has got loose. I'm wondering if contact cement might be appropriate here. Since you let it go "dry" before fitting the two pieces together, there is little chance of it ending up on the feed or anywhere one doesn't want it. And it is supposed to be relatively easy to remove if a future repair is needed. I'm also thinking that if it doesn't work, I can clean it off and I'm no worse off than where I am now.

I'm not familiar with GS Hypo cement. Do you fit the pieces together while that is wet?

Of course, I could do the intelligent thing and send the pen into Pilot for a proper repair. But I've never been accused of being intelligent in that way.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PecosPeet View Post
    I'm not familiar with GS Hypo cement. Do you fit the pieces together while that is wet?
    Yes. It's used for watch crystals, among other things. It's for precision work and literally comes with a needle applicator! You could probably apply a bead along the back and be reasonably safe about it, but I don't mean to encourage you to take risks. I take risks, but I am also prepared to accept the consequences with equanimity if and when it goes wrong.

No guarantee I would figure out how to remove the feed, either. Sometimes a special tool is needed. Sometimes pens are glued up and not meant to be taken apart.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PecosPeet View Post
    Thanks penwash and mhosea. I took another look at the pen and not sure how I missed this. The nib was definitely glued in place - I managed to scrape away the glue residue from the section with my thumb nail. There was no such residue on the underside of the nib.

Now, the problem. I'm afraid that removing the feed would be stupid. It's not clear how it comes out or even if it is meant to be taken out by a non-pro. I'd be much happier doing this without removing the feed. So I need to figure out how to glue the nib back in without getting any glue onto the feed or leaking out onto the outside of the section.

That got me thinking of another post I saw suggesting that contact cement might be useful fitting a section into the barrel where a pressure fit has got loose. I'm wondering if contact cement might be appropriate here. Since you let it go "dry" before fitting the two pieces together, there is little chance of it ending up on the feed or anywhere one doesn't want it. And it is supposed to be relatively easy to remove if a future repair is needed. I'm also thinking that if it doesn't work, I can clean it off and I'm no worse off than where I am now.

Of course, I could do the intelligent thing and send the pen into Pilot for a proper repair. But I've never been accused of being intelligent in that way.
    I'd go with regular sac shellac. Easily removable with heat.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AGOTL For This Useful Post:

PecosPeet (September 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGOTL View Post
    I'd go with regular sac shellac. Easily removable with heat.
    That looks like it succeeded - thanks. At least the first ink fill worked without the nib falling off in my cloth! I guess I'll gain confidence with every re-inking. And I can always give the GS Hypo cement a shot if it turns out the shellac doesn't hold.

Thanks

How has that repair held up after almost 3 years? I have a small collection of Pilot Custom Black Stripes and a couple need to have the glue replaced under the nib.

I did find a thread over at FPN that gave explicit instructions, but I thought I'd compare those with your results.