Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Ink No. 10

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Mystery Ink No. 10

What does everyone think? Shall we stop horrifying ourselves by reading off-topic threads long enough to try another installment of Mystery Ink? Do we have time to talk about ink? Because, it’s hard to believe, but it's sort of time for the tenth round of MI. If there's a will. Which I don't know. But I'll give it a go. I am excited that together we have reached double digits, allowing me to use my second-favorite punctuation mark, the hyphen, to introduce MI-10.

MI-10 has to be dedicated to Carli Lloyd, Number 10 for the US Women’s National Team, and team captain for most of its games. Just last night Lloyd scored three goals to power the USA to the 2015 world championship of soccer/football, on the women's side. (If she were playing the MI-favorite sport of hockey, that would be a hat trick.) Lloyd received the Golden Ball, as best player of the tournament, after carrying her team offensively throughout the knock-out round, and the Silver Boot, losing the Golden Boot scoring title on mere a tie-breaker. Note that the US team is rocking the Lamy Neon Lime socks for this one. MI-10 spiritual leader and namesake Carli Lloyd is kneeling down in the first row, holding the World Cup trophy.

CJNxWhlWEAAneso.jpg

In international soccer/football, the Number 10 jersey is traditionally a prestigious number, often claimed by the player who strives to be the team’s top goal scorer and difference maker. First Maradona and Pele, now Messi, Rooney and Neymar. Lloyd is another star Number 10. Also wearing the Number 10 on the woman’s side is the great Homare Sawa, who played in her sixth World Cup for Japan this year. Sawa and Japan won the World Cup in 2011 over the US, but came up short last night to the US side, and took silver. They were down 4-0 early, and fought back like champions, losing 5-2 but never giving up. It’s only fitting for MI-10 to also pay homage to Sawa, who has been a transcendent player for a wonderful national team.

Sadly, it was as recently as the 2012 Olympics when the magnificent World Champion Japanese woman’s team was sent by their federation to London flying coach, while the lower-ranked Japanese men’s team flew business class. I believe it was the same for the Matildas of Australia. MI lives in the 21st Century, and MI is irked by that.

So with hopes of equality for all, I hereby declare the Carli Lloyd edition of Mystery Ink shall now begin. In honor of reaching Number 10, there will be a special wrinkle in MI-10 which volunteers will be the first to discover. Otherwise, all rules and requirements remain the same. All that is required of our volunteers will be a willingness to try the unknown MI-10 and post your impressions here. The idea is to have fun by trying an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be. To preserve the mystery, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it. So we also ask people not to write guesses about the ink’s name directly in the thread. Thank you to all.

People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in Mystery Ink. If you’d like to volunteer, please post here and let everyone know why you’d like to get MI-10. You can also guess the identity of my actual, overall, most favorite punctuation mark in the whole wide world. Or just nominate your own favorite Number 10. Or your own favorite punctuation mark. You can do anything but troll others. Because that kind of stuff belongs in the thread on removing stickers with alcohol, duh.

If you are volunteering, and it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps to select a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times. If we have more than six volunteers, participants will be chosen randomly. We hardly had any volunteers last time for Hitch. I hope we find more for MI-10. Thank you for reading this far when there's ugh sports gross ick hate it why can’t we talk about culture it’s supposed to be a fountain pen forum people can’t we see a little class and some standards here.

Alright just cut that out because I can talk ballet until the cows come home, and if you aren’t careful I will. This quite easily could have been the Misty Copeland edition of MI. Don’t tempt me. But let's see if we can get some volunteers to try the ink, so MI can continue. I'll be watching public broadcasting *not* in hopes of upping my game for MI-11.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

BCDDiggler (July 10th, 2015), Chrissy (July 6th, 2015), Jon Szanto (July 6th, 2015), naimitsu (July 6th, 2015), reprieve (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: Mystery Ink No. 10

As ever I would love to put my name in the hat along with my GKN ink and pen posse for another group review... also intrigued by the "In honor of reaching Number 10, there will be a special wrinkle in MI-10 which volunteers will be the first to discover." comment, this makes me want it more than usual!

And just for info, my favourite punctuation mark is the exclamation mark... which I regularly over use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, three goals by the same player in football is also called a "hat trick", see! it's not so different after all
    Last edited by Sammyo; July 6th, 2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Added hat trick comment.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I hope to always lead my team offensively. If people aren't offended, I'm not doing my job. I'm following this MI-10 thing but hope you'll find enough new volunteers, as I was in on the last one.

This was insane:

Also, this:

Last edited by Jon Szanto; July 6th, 2015 at 11:25 AM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

It's not fluorescent yellow-green, is it?

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    It's not fluorescent yellow-green, is it?

Fred
    That would be a special wrinkle. Not telling!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This was insane:
    I like this from Streamable. Kind of hypnotic.

Playing soccer/football like a boss.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyo View Post
    FYI, three goals by the same player in football is also called a "hat trick", see! it's not so different after all
    Yeah, I know they call it a hat trick, but since there are no hats thrown on the ice, I am sort of grudging about it. Hockey is my Number One, after all.

Someone told me the term was first used in cricket. The one sport I cannot understand for the life of me. George Clooney could sit across from me, and explain it to me point by point, rule by rule, and still my eyes would glaze over and I'd have to excuse myself, defeated and shaking my head ruefully. Cute outfits, though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Sammyo (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

If it's okay I would like to put my name in the hat. My fave punctuation is ...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Mystery Ink No. 10

Count me in but I'm still on the side lines with my NPR radio.
    Favorite !!!!!
    Last edited by Crazyorange; July 6th, 2015 at 07:25 PM.

Thanks

I'll throw my hat in if there aren't enough, but only if there aren't enough. I'm with Cryptos, my favorite punctuation is …

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Happy to see some brave volunteers here. And even happier to have finally hit upon a sport Jon likes.

Does no one like the four period ellipses? At the end of a sentence? I enjoy that one very much.

Thanks

I'd like to jump in too. Just to play with a new ink...
    De pen is machtiger dan het zwaard - de pen wordt nog gebruikt, het zwaard hangt aan de muur...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mhguda For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Does no one like the four period ellipses? At the end of a sentence? I enjoy that one very much.
    Why, yes. . . . I do enjoy the four period ellipsis. Quite.

My very favorite punctuation mark is probably the semi-colon; however, I also adore the exclamation point! In fact, I was all like: !!!!!!!!!!??!!??!!!!!!!!!! when Carli Lloyd scored her three goals. Within, what, the first fifteen minutes of the match?!

And then I was like: and and !!!

So I had to jump in and say: This MI-10 thread is bound to be full of win. Soccer and punctuation marks and pens and inks--how could it get better?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Some cake....or pie?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Some cake....or pie?
    π

Extra characters needed.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

I would love to throw my name into the hat if you don't mind please?

What could your favourite punctuation mark be? Hmmm I'm voting for exclamation mark!!!!!

That happens to be my favourite punctuation mark anyway. Way to go Sammy!!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Throwing my name into the hat again, now that things here have calmed down somewhat. Fave players are Ballack and Messi, both have worn #10. As for fave punctuation, to type it would be elipses, to handwrite its the exclamation.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

Laura N (July 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    Throwing my name into the hat again, now that things here have calmed down somewhat. Fave players are Ballack and Messi, both have worn #10. As for fave punctuation, to type it would be elipses, to handwrite its the exclamation.
    Oh I used to love Ballack! I didn't even realize he was Number 10, because I think of him as Number 13.

Does anyone remember Roberto Baggio? Baggio will always be my personal favorite Number 10. Now tied with Carli Lloyd.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    Oh I used to love Ballack! I didn't even realize he was Number 10, because I think of him as Number 13.

Does anyone remember Roberto Baggio? Baggio will always be my personal favorite Number 10. Now tied with Carli Lloyd.
    ooos sorry, youre right, Ballack is 13. I do remember Roberto Baggio *swoons*