Thread: Ink Review: SBRE Brown. Manufactured by Diamine & sold exclusively by Akkerman

Thanks
    Thanked 10,370 Times in 3,980 Posts

Default Ink Review: SBRE Brown. Manufactured by Diamine & sold exclusively by Akkerman

Today I'm reviewing SBRE Brown ink.
    It's manufactured by Diamine and retailed exclusively by Akkerman inks.
    SBRE Brown is a yellow/brown ink. Instead of comparing it against brown inks, I think it looks most similar to Diamine Ochre (aka Conway Stewart Kingsand.)
    It's an attractive shade, ideal for writers who don't like reddish brown inks.

• Flow Rate: Good. Felt neither wet nor dry in the pen & paper combinations I used.
    • Lubrication: Good with all 3 nibs I used, on several different papers.
    • Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
    • Start-up: Immediate.
    • Saturation: Not a saturated ink
    • Shading Potential: Some seen
    • Sheen: None seen.
    • Show-Through/Bleed-Through:
      • Clairefontaine CrokBook (Not much. Writing on both sides would be acceptable)
      • Midori Paper (Not much. Writing on both sides would be acceptable)
      • Oxford Paper
      • Rhodia Graph Paper
      • Tomoe River 52gsm
      • Cheaper generic 80 & 90gsm printer papers & lined pads.

• Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None seen.
    • Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after over 1 week in the pen
    • Staining (pen): Not seen after several days - very easy clean-up
    • Staining (hands): Easy clean-up.
    • Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
    • Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof but has good water resistance.
    • Availability: Available from Akkerman Inks web-site in 120ml bottles. For UK buyers the cost is £35 including VAT & P&P.

Diamine SBRE Brown.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 23rd, 2020 at 02:45 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (February 5th, 2018), AzJon (January 25th, 2018), catbert (January 27th, 2018), Jeph (January 28th, 2018), jodylud (January 25th, 2018), Jon Szanto (January 27th, 2018), junglejim (January 25th, 2018), KKay (January 25th, 2018), KrazyIvan (January 24th, 2018), Marsilius (January 24th, 2018), Yazeh (June 11th, 2020)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: SBRE Brown. Manufactured by Diamine & sold exclusively by Akkerman

I suggest you watch Stephen's video about his ink on the Akkerman web-site

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

AzJon (January 25th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,124 Times in 428 Posts

Default Re: Ink Review: SBRE Brown. Manufactured by Diamine & sold exclusively by Akkerman

Yum! I've been trying to get a bottle of this for a while. Vanness has it from time to time. In fact I received an email yesterday at 1315 that it was back in stock (21 bottles) but by the time I got to their site at 1520 all the bottles were sold out! Will have to try faster next time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Yum! I've been trying to get a bottle of this for a while. Vanness has it from time to time. In fact I received an email yesterday at 1315 that it was back in stock (21 bottles) but by the time I got to their site at 1520 all the bottles were sold out! Will have to try faster next time.
    I've been trying to decide if I want to pay this price for a 120ml bottle of ink. It's a tough decision.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,132 Posts

Your review prompted me to dig out my 2015 bottle of SBRE Brown. Back then I experienced some nib crusting in an Esterbrook which caused me to put it away. No issues (so far) this time in a Pelikano Junior. I'm enjoying the colour, shading and flow but 30ml is probably plenty.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Your review prompted me to dig out my 2015 bottle of SBRE Brown. Back then I experienced some nib crusting in an Esterbrook which caused me to put it away. No issues (so far) this time in a Pelikano Junior. I'm enjoying the colour, shading and flow but 30ml is probably plenty.
    I assume you have one of the original 30ml bottles retailed by La Couronne du Compte. They are cute little bottles that I really like. I can't imagine how big the 120ml Akkerman Dutch Master bottles are.

Perhaps nib crusting can occur more frequently with inks containing yellow dye. Yellow and orange inks tend to crust around glass bottle screw threads too. So far I haven't seen any crusting with SBRE Brown on my Lamy pens though.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I assume you have one of the original 30ml bottles retailed by La Couronne du Compte. They are cute little bottles that I really like. I can't imagine how big the 120ml Akkerman Dutch Master bottles are.

Perhaps nib crusting can occur more frequently with inks containing yellow dye. Yellow and orange inks tend to crust around glass bottle screw threads too. So far I haven't seen any crusting with SBRE Brown on my Lamy pens though.
    Yes, that first batch didn't move quite as fast as the reissue so I had a chance to get a bottle. Maybe the relatively tighter cap seal in my Pelikano Junior is a factor in delaying the onset of nib crusting. Anyway, thanks again for reminding me to give a neglected ink another chance.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 27th, 2018)

Thanks

Yes, that first batch didn't move quite as fast as the reissue so I had a chance to get a bottle. Maybe the relatively tighter cap seal in my Pelikano Junior is a factor in delaying the onset of nib crusting. Anyway, thanks again for reminding me to give a neglected ink another chance.
    I'm glad my review reminded you to give it another chance.