Page 78 of 80 FirstFirst ... 28687677787980 LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1591

Thread: London 'The Hole' Geek Gathering

Thanks

Default Re: London 'The Hole' Geek Gathering

Well it looks like we are good to go for a 12 noon kick off on 4th May at the Bloomsbury. See you then.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (April 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Hi all, it's been a while since I have been able to attend.
    Busy season is officially over and I'm actually free for the May meet.

I agree with all points that Bierschenke has become stale and we need a change of scenery. Happy to explore another part of London.
    The idea of a committee is something that I am opposed to as I believe it goes against the spirit of club. I don't see any benefit in having a committee as the club is intended to be laid-back and casual.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarisaCactus For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (April 26th, 2019), Cob (April 24th, 2019), migo984 (April 24th, 2019), oldstoat (April 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarisaCactus View Post

I agree with all points that Bierschenke has become stale and we need a change of scenery. Happy to explore another part of London.
    The idea of a committee is something that I am opposed to as I believe it goes against the spirit of club. I don't see any benefit in having a committee as the club is intended to be laid-back and casual.
    Alas the laid back and casual nature also means people would like time and an option rather than having a part time attendee decide they are a dictator and demand it happen. I don't think there are many arguments that it might be time to look else where, but the days of it being a small group of regulars just communicating on here are long gone.

I think I mentioned a committee before Dave, but the whole idea was to have a small group to keep track of all the members (and adhere to GDPR laws), so as to make a change of venue much easier. Also have a knowledge of where people are coming in from would make targeting a new location a lot more effective. Being by Liverpool St Station and also having relatively cheap parking near by (£1.20 per hour at the Barbican through Just Park), possibly has attracted a number of regulars (and near regulars), but again may have cost us people who would be coming in through Waterloo or Kings Cross.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 237 Posts

It is possible for two venues to be used at once without anyone being a dictator.

I do think it wasn't the best idea to give the impression that the club as a whole would be there (that was mostly a confusion on reddit), or that the club as a whole is now staying at the Bierschenke, because neither is accurate.

What I'd personally like to see is people being able to move between the two as wished without a fuss being made of it, or it being suggested that only one part was the 'true' group.

It seems a good idea to try other venues under the same conditions (pens everywhere!) and see if they remain welcoming, and to gradually let the people who aren't in contact by other means know that this is going on and where to find out where the second location is at any point if they also want to try it. And in the end we might find an excellent second venue for everyone, who knows?

Or the group might split, but saying to people who want to meet elsewhere right now that they can't do so as an acknowledged part of the club until/unless everyone who doesn't feel so strongly about it agrees to move seems to guarantee it. I do think that mentioning both venues are options for everyone is important.

"Judean People's Front!"

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Voiren For This Useful Post:

Annie (April 25th, 2019), oldstoat (April 26th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post

I think I mentioned a committee before Dave, but the whole idea was to have a small group to keep track of all the members (and adhere to GDPR laws)

[....]
    I attended meetings for years but no longer do so. I just don’t enjoy them anymore. The last one I attended felt mainly like a competition to show off bigger, “better”, more expensive pens.

Quote > “the days of it being a small group of regulars just communicating on here are long gone.....” <

Which is actually very sad. It was so much more enjoyable. And they worked without much effort at all. T
    his proposed pseudo officialdom just further alienates. A group to “keep track of members” for goodness sakes! As soon as it is necessary to consider such things then I’m out. I wouldn’t share my details with such a group anyway.

I prefer a small, friendly & casual vibe, not having to try to catch up with pals sitting several tables away. I also really struggle to hear conversation with so much background noise going on. It’s not fun at all. So the ability to perhaps join a smaller meeting in future appeals to me. Just my personal view & my 2p worth. I get that some have ambitions for the larger group and I hope they work out for you.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Annie (April 25th, 2019), Beowulf50 (April 26th, 2019), oldstoat (April 26th, 2019)

Thanks

I do understand where you're coming from with the small groups - the Southern Pen Club, meeting in Fleet, is that way, and some of the regulars fear it growing for the same reason. The thing is, once you become a club rather than a small gathering of friends, even if informal, you may grow and if you do it will get larger. You can't stop people attending because you want a maximum number (I know no one has suggested that).

If you're just using the club to catch up with friends, then you should arrange other meet ups with just them, or meet else where as a group rather than at a group. You can't just move a club because it has become too large.

Thanks

If you're just using the club to catch up with friends, then you should arrange other meet ups with just them, or meet else where as a group rather than at a group.
    Jeez! Says it all really. Who are you to tell me why & when I should “use” the club? Surely “using the club to catch up with friends” is actually a good thing! We do have a shared interest in pens after all.

“You can’t just move a club because it’s become too large”.
    Why not? Sounds a perfectly sensible reason to me.

Anyway, as I said before, the meetings just aren’t my bag anymore. The “my pen’s bigger than your pen” atmosphere is not appealing. But I wish you joy (Lamy or otherwise) with your committee.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (April 26th, 2019), Cob (April 26th, 2019), oldstoat (April 26th, 2019)

Thanks

You are the one who was complaining it was too large to be able to catch up with friends and too noisy, hence my suggestion. The fact that it is now a large thriving club should be considered a success not a failure.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    If you're just using the club to catch up with friends, then you should arrange other meet ups with just them, or meet else where as a group rather than at a group.
    Jeez! Says it all really. Who are you to tell me why & when I should “use” the club? Surely “using the club to catch up with friends” is actually a good thing! We do have a shared interest in pens after all.

Anyway, as I said before, the meetings just aren’t my bag anymore. The “my pen’s bigger than your pen” atmosphere is not appealing. But I wish you joy (Lamy or otherwise) with your committee.
    Hi Marie <waves> and say hi to Murfie from me. Come along to the Bloomsbury if you would like to. We will be in the upstairs room. It's quiet up there and the beer is cheap.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far. Just a quickie to add that I will be bringing along my toolkit so if there's any badly behaved nibs that need attention, I will be armed to do the needful.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (April 26th, 2019), Cob (April 26th, 2019), oldstoat (April 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Hmm..."part time attendees acting like dictators".

As I said before, if no one makes a suggestion of change, nothing changes. That isn't dictatorial. Starting to set up committees and votes and lists of members, without, I might add, asking anyone else, seems a tad more dictatorial. Telling people which reasons for attending are acceptable seems even more so.
    And, by the way as one of the original members of the group, who has attended most of the meetings since 2013, I don't consider myself part-time.
    Last edited by oldstoat; April 26th, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

18. The Following User Says Thank You to oldstoat For This Useful Post:

Cob (April 26th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by oldstoat View Post

As I said before, if no one makes a suggestion of change, nothing changes. That isn't dictatorial. Starting to set up committees and votes and lists of members, without, I might add, asking anyone else, seems a tad more dictatorial. Telling people which reasons for attending are acceptable seems even more so.
    And, by the way as one of the original members of the group, who has attended most of the meetings since 2013, I don't consider myself part-time.
    Seconded - albeit since 2014!

Cob
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les têtes rondes!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Annie (April 26th, 2019)

Thanks

Thank you for your company Ladies and Gentlemen. Beer was drunk, nibs ground, pens admired and trades were done, all without the aid of a committee. See you all next month for more of the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

Beowulf50 (May 6th, 2019), Cob (May 4th, 2019), MarisaCactus (May 4th, 2019), migo984 (May 4th, 2019), oldstoat (May 7th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Good move to have left me out Annie; as the late Lord Berners said of himself I look like a diabolical egg!

All the best,

C.
    Vive les chevaliers! A bas les têtes rondes!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

oldstoat (May 7th, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Hi Marie <waves> and say hi to Murfie from me. Come along to the Bloomsbury if you would like to. We will be in the upstairs room. It's quiet up there and the beer is cheap.
    Hi Annie
    Sorry I haven’t been back in here for a few days and apols for us not being there today. Our weekends are a bit tied up at the mo as my mum is unwell.
    I’m glad it went well today and fingers crossed we’ll be able to get to the Bloomsbury another time 🙂

Thanks

Cool Re: London 'The Hole' Geek Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by MarisaCactus View Post

Alas the laid back and casual nature also means people would like time and an option rather than having a part time attendee decide they are a dictator and demand it happen. I don't think there are many arguments that it might be time to look else where, but the days of it being a small group of regulars just communicating on here are long gone.

I think I mentioned a committee before Dave, but the whole idea was to have a small group to keep track of all the members (and adhere to GDPR laws), so as to make a change of venue much easier. Also have a knowledge of where people are coming in from would make targeting a new location a lot more effective. Being by Liverpool St Station and also having relatively cheap parking near by (£1.20 per hour at the Barbican through Just Park), possibly has attracted a number of regulars (and near regulars), but again may have cost us people who would be coming in through Waterloo or Kings Cross.

I think I mentioned a committee before Dave, but the whole idea was to have a small group to keep track of all the members (and adhere to GDPR laws)

[....]
    I attended meetings for years but no longer do so. I just don’t enjoy them anymore. The last one I attended felt mainly like a competition to show off bigger, “better”, more expensive pens.

Quote > “the days of it being a small group of regulars just communicating on here are long gone.....” <

Which is actually very sad. It was so much more enjoyable. And they worked without much effort at all. T
    his proposed pseudo officialdom just further alienates. A group to “keep track of members” for goodness sakes! As soon as it is necessary to consider such things then I’m out. I wouldn’t share my details with such a group anyway.

I prefer a small, friendly & casual vibe, not having to try to catch up with pals sitting several tables away. I also really struggle to hear conversation with so much background noise going on. It’s not fun at all. So the ability to perhaps join a smaller meeting in future appeals to me. Just my personal view & my 2p worth. I get that some have ambitions for the larger group and I hope they work out for you.
    I do understand where you're coming from with the small groups - the Southern Pen Club, meeting in Fleet, is that way, and some of the regulars fear it growing for the same reason. The thing is, once you become a club rather than a small gathering of friends, even if informal, you may grow and if you do it will get larger. You can't stop people attending because you want a maximum number (I know no one has suggested that).

If you're just using the club to catch up with friends, then you should arrange other meet ups with just them, or meet else where as a group rather than at a group. You can't just move a club because it has become too large.

You are the one who was complaining it was too large to be able to catch up with friends and too noisy, hence my suggestion. The fact that it is now a large thriving club should be considered a success not a failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldstoat View Post

Only visited on the singular one occasion, so i'm far from one to be saying how the 'club' should be 'run' - if at all; however, there is a massive positive in the informal nature and relaxed environment.

Changing venue, if necessary, should be a no-brainer; if you need to change venue then do - don't become the weird group the staff and landlord actually hate for hopping table space and scaring other customers away, but still keep it cosy.

I don't see the group needs any 'management', and i don't think it would benefit from having any - i have been a member of some various clubs that are affiliated with national or international organisations... London FP Geekclub is far from needing the admin, what're you planning to do that is anything different from that which occurs already?

Thanks

SIR - it's a fair enough point. The catch, which I was trying to help avoid, is that the informality stretches to communications. Members are spread over 4 or 5 different forms of electronic medium and also word of +mouth. Additionally some spend £15-20+ just on travel to/from the club, so turning up to find no one there as it has moved and they have not been told needs to be avoided, or at least a decent attempt made to prevent or keep to a minimum this happening. This is not a club where everyone lives locally and so can travel at minimal (even for London) or no cost.

As to a no brainer - Landlord has no problems with us - the tables normally would be left untouched if we were not there so any food/drink purchased is additional income. In 3+ years I've only known of one time where there were problems, and then we were just told we would have to move on by 2 pm due to the lower bar being reserved for a private party. Having said that, I do think most of us are bored of the food options at the Bierschenke, and as some one who rarely drinks and now often drives to the meet, the non-alcoholic options are minimal and expensive.

Thanks

Hi Annie
    Sorry I haven’t been back in here for a few days and apols for us not being there today. Our weekends are a bit tied up at the mo as my mum is unwell.
    I’m glad it went well today and fingers crossed we’ll be able to get to the Bloomsbury another time 
    Sorry to have missed you both and hope that your mum is better soon. Maybe next time you can join us. It was fun.

Thanks

"London UK Fountain Pen Club meats at the Bierschenke near Liverpool St Station on the first Saturday of every month aside October (for the London Writing Equipment Show) 12:00-15:00 -
    London, UK Fountain Pen Club"

For info London Pen Geeks meet at The Bloomsbury Tavern @noon on the first Saturday of the month. We swap inks, grind nibs and drink beer. https://www.bloomsburytavern.co.uk/

Thanks

"London UK Fountain Pen Club meats at the Bierschenke near Liverpool St Station on the first Saturday of every month aside October (for the London Writing Equipment Show) 12:00-15:00 -
    London, UK Fountain Pen Club"

For info London Pen Geeks meet at The Bloomsbury Tavern @noon on the first Saturday of the month. We swap inks, grind nibs and drink beer. https://www.bloomsburytavern.co.uk/
    lol

For awareness - that's been my signature here and on FPN for a good year, year and half plus - myself and Peter would mention the club to any Hellos from London and it was just easier to point to my signature for reference to the reddit page.