Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nibsmith.com site attacked

Thanks

Default nibsmith.com site attacked

Seems like someone attacked Dan Smith's site and wiped it clean. The backups didn't work for him either.

I'm not on FaceySpaces so I had to scrape off a few layers of JavaScript modals to get this from the 22nd:

Quote Originally Posted by Nibsmith FB page
    Our store is currently down. Thank you to everyone who let us know. We’re not entirely sure what happened but some time yesterday our website was attacked. We’re working with our web host to better understand the full extent of the damage but it looks like all data may have been lost. Backups have failed to restore properly. It will likely take 3-4 weeks to rebuild the site back to where it was.

Our host does not have any reason to believe user information was taken from the server. Payment info is not stored on our server so that much is definitely not at risk.

We’re devastated to say the least.

In the meantime, we have copies of all the existing orders and will be processing those as quickly as possible.

We would greatly appreciate your support during this time and would be happy to take your orders by phone or email. Please message us at 908-617-1337 or dan@thenibsmith.com and we’ll thank you with the best prices we can offer.

We wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
    Please let me know if I ought to elide the contact information.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 27th, 2021), damfino (January 10th, 2022), Detman101 (December 27th, 2021), welch (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 357 Posts

Default Re: nibsmith.com site attacked

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post
    Seems like someone attacked Dan Smith's site and wiped it clean. The backups didn't work for him either.

I'm not on FaceySpaces so I had to scrape off a few layers of JavaScript modals to get this from the 22nd:

Quote Originally Posted by Nibsmith FB page
    Our store is currently down. Thank you to everyone who let us know. We’re not entirely sure what happened but some time yesterday our website was attacked. We’re working with our web host to better understand the full extent of the damage but it looks like all data may have been lost. Backups have failed to restore properly. It will likely take 3-4 weeks to rebuild the site back to where it was.

Our host does not have any reason to believe user information was taken from the server. Payment info is not stored on our server so that much is definitely not at risk.

We’re devastated to say the least.

In the meantime, we have copies of all the existing orders and will be processing those as quickly as possible.

We would greatly appreciate your support during this time and would be happy to take your orders by phone or email. Please message us at 908-617-1337 or dan@thenibsmith.com and we’ll thank you with the best prices we can offer.

We wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
    Please let me know if I ought to elide the contact information.
    It's so hard to even imagine what possible motives someone could have in doing this ....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (December 27th, 2021), welch (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks

I noticed someone on Reddit appeared to be trying to claim a nib came to them from Dan Smith bent out of shape. Earlier photos of the same pen showed the nib in reasonable condition, along with claims of it performing well. Many people pointed this out. The moderators there removed the poster's threads.

There's no justification for vandalism like this, though.

I have zero idea if the two incidents are related. I'm just hoping Dan's business comes through OK.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

He seems to have more than usual amount of misfortune. I have to wonder if there's some reason for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    He seems to have more than usual amount of misfortune. I have to wonder if there's some reason for that.
    If you'd ever met Dan you would never post horseshit like this.

A crummy sentiment from an anonymous ass.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (January 1st, 2022), Chuck Naill (December 27th, 2021), dneal (December 27th, 2021), FredRydr (December 27th, 2021), Jon Szanto (December 27th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (December 27th, 2021), TFarnon (December 27th, 2021), welch (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by manoeuver View Post

No shit. Victim blaming, completely unwarranted.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 27th, 2021), manoeuver (December 27th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (December 27th, 2021), TFarnon (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks

There have been a fair number of not widely publicized attacks on servers of all sizes lately. I only stumble across the announcements from time to time as I'm looking for something else entirely, and a headline catches my eye. My guess is that this site was caught unawares by one of those attacks, one that only struck servers with particular vulnerabilities, and that it wasn't even the intended target. Unfortunately, I think this is part of life in the digital age. Here's hoping Dan can get his site back up and running in a reasonable amount of time.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TFarnon For This Useful Post:

Darla (December 27th, 2021), Lloyd (December 27th, 2021), SlowMovingTarget (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks

Wrong in just about every respect.

1. I have met him. I've also had business dealings. Perhaps my experiences have differed from yours.

2. "Horseshit"? Rather, a question posed from experience.

3. "Crummy sentiment"? No sentiment involved, just a question; one that you apparently find emotionally difficult.

4. "Anonymous"? Hardly anonymous. I've been here a many years now, and there are people here who do know me, IRL as they say. You don't seem to be one.

5. "Ass"? I could give you a partial correct on that, but no credit for partial corrects.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

724Seney (January 3rd, 2022), Detman101 (December 27th, 2021), Lloyd (December 27th, 2021)

Thanks

1. I have met him. I've also had business dealings. Perhaps my experiences have differed from yours.

3. "Crummy sentiment"? No sentiment involved, just a question; one that you apparently find emotionally difficult.

4. "Anonymous"? Hardly anonymous. I've been here a many years now, and there are people here who do know me, IRL as they say. You don't seem to be one.

5. "Ass"? I could give you a partial correct on that, but no credit for partial corrects.

Stunning takedown.

I apologize, you're no anonymous ass, you're a passive aggressive bitch. Fact check that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Given the situation, there was really nothing to be contributed by your original comment, especially if you did not mean to imply that it was somehow warranted for him to be attacked.

Sure it was technically a question, but really came off as a passive aggressive attack on his character as if he somehow had it coming.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

dneal (January 1st, 2022), Jon Szanto (December 31st, 2021), manoeuver (January 1st, 2022), welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

The fact that my question seems to have hit such a nerve suggests there may be good reason to consider it.

I bear Mr. Smith no ill will. There was a time when he made videos that I enjoyed and found useful. Beyond that, frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

The fact that my question seems to have hit such a nerve suggests there may be good reason to consider it.
    Very weak logic, would have "hit a nerve" even if I never knew the retailer. Victim blaming is just shitty all around.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (January 5th, 2022), welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

Of the millions of web sites, they choose a fountain pen site. I'm not a computer expert, I just find it strange.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eicart0523 View Post
    Of the millions of web sites, they choose a fountain pen site. I'm not a computer expert, I just find it strange.
    Precisely *nothing* says that only one site went down. They could have taken down many sites at just one hosting service, and could have attacked multiple hosting services. These type of attacks are often wide-spread.

But you're no computer expert.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Barry Gabay (January 5th, 2022), welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

Wasn't he also robbed at a pen show not long ago? Dang, talk about bad luck. Good thing he keeps physical orders as well.

Thanks

I am sorry to hear this. As a customer I got great service and perfectly tuned nibs. I hope they can get the site back up and running soon.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Keyless Works For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

More of your brilliant reasoning.

Yeah it hit a nerve, you came in here and threw shit at a guy with dozens of close friends in the community.

Of course you're going to get a reaction. You disingenuous tw@t.

BTW you suck at this.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to manoeuver For This Useful Post:

welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks

I just visited the site. It seems it's back up. Good for him.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SlowMovingTarget For This Useful Post:

damfino (January 10th, 2022), manoeuver (January 5th, 2022), TFarnon (January 6th, 2022), welch (January 5th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMovingTarget View Post
    I just visited the site. It seems it's back up. Good for him.
    Cool. I will check, too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

If you get in a fight with a pig and roll around in the mud, remember the pig enjoys it.