PDA

View Full Version : Fountain Pen Magazines?

Laura N
May 7th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I recently got a free copy of the April issue of Pen World magazine. Pen magazines seem a little anachronistic in a world where we have wonderful internet forums like this. But it's been surprisingly nice to have a glossy magazine to flip through, with great photos and a few in-depth articles to read.

I've heard that there's another magazine out there, too: the Pennant, the publication of the PCA. It seems to come with PCA membership, which seems like a worthy cause.

Are there any subscribers (or contributors) to pen magazines here? Any thoughts? Are any worth the cost?

(And I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so I apologize if it shouldn't be here.)

fountainpenkid
May 7th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Penna vintage has a great online magazine that you can view for free for a few days until they make you pay.

writingrav
May 7th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I recently got a free copy of the April issue of Pen World magazine. Pen magazines seem a little anachronistic in a world where we have wonderful internet forums like this. But it's been surprisingly nice to have a glossy magazine to flip through, with great photos and a few in-depth articles to read.

I've heard that there's another magazine out there, too: the Pennant, the publication of the PCA. It seems to come with PCA membership, which seems like a worthy cause.

Are there any subscribers (or contributors) to pen magazines here? Any thoughts? Are any worth the cost?

(And I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so I apologize if it shouldn't be here.)

I receive The Pennant as a PCA member and find it consistently engaging and enlightening. I buy Pen World on the newsstand for some reason, perhaps afraid I'll get tired of it, but i haven't. There is always something interesting and it is nice to sometimes sit quietly paging through rather than scrolling.

Jon Szanto
May 7th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I simply can't recommend the PCA membership, which gets you three issues of the Pennant a year, highly enough.

The articles are well-written, and under the editorship of Paul Erano for the last 1-2 years (not sure exactly), the layout and quality is outstanding. Certainly one of the best small-run, niche publications I've seen. Add to that the ability to read the archives of the magazine online, and if you are into vintage, oodles of pen catalogs as resources online to do your research, identify an old pen, etc...

$40 a year is what I believe it costs. I've enjoyed my membership for the last two years very much. BTW, current PCA president is none other than Lisa Anderson, of Anderson Pens.

Pen Collectors of America (https://www.pencollectorsofamerica.com/) - take a look for more info. There is a sample issue of the mag for download.

fountainpenkid
May 7th, 2013, 09:03 PM
A real physical magazine is a lot nicer, I agree.

Tracy Lee
May 8th, 2013, 07:22 PM
I have been a Pen World subscriber for 6 years? A long time anyway and have all of my copies. I subscribed to Stylus for a couple years until Hurricane Katrina pretty much wiped them out - they just didn't recover which was a shame. Good magazine, and for this genre, I want the physical version for sure. I need to look into this PCA business, thanks for posting the link.